starting strength gym

Thread: DIY Cable Setup. Pully Position for Lat Pulldowns Question

Default DIY Cable Setup. Pully Position for Lat Pulldowns Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a Rogue RML-390F. I'd like to add a cable attachment/pulley for Lat pull downs.
    I've seen folks mount a single pulley to the rear top cross member with a plate loading pin directly underneath, and the lifter seated on a bench positioned at the front of the rack. In this position the cable is coming down at about a 45 degree angle to the lifter vs. directly overhead.

Would this result in bad form for the lat pull down? Should the cable come down directly from overhead as in below image? (Art by Gunric)

2Pulleys.jpg

With one pulley mechanical advantage is 1:1. Would this configuration still be 1:1?

This is still 1:1. Can you not chin yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    Would this result in bad form for the lat pull down? Should the cable come down directly from overhead as in below image?
    I used a Spud single pulley setup at my pre-Covid gym. It was really annoying to set up for accessories with the cable coming down at an angle. Directly overhead is so much better and all it takes is a little more hardware and a longer cable.

No, not yet. (I was the fat bearded guy at the Self Sufficient Lifter camp last weekend). 276 lbs 5'8".