starting strength gym
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for anyone who has built a home gym in the UK

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Question for people in the UK. I found an old thread where someone mentioned a guy in the UK who would build the ss power rack. Unfortunately it's ten years old and the link was broken.

Does anyone else know any UK workshops who would make this? Whilst I'm sure I can find one, a recommendation is always good.

Sib - I'm toying with that idea myself as my crappy cheap ass squat stand , well, cheap ass and crappy. A proper cage would obviously be better. I'm in the southwest and have downloaded the plans for the SS rack from the website and am looking into local metal fabrication companies as I can't weld or have the big boys toys needed to make one myself. I'll keep you updated.

I went to a welding company to get a quote but the price was extortionate.

Iron King make a rack similar to the one in the book. I got mine made to a 22 inch width and the same hole spacing as the starting strength rack.

It’s the only rack I could find that’s anywhere close.

Quote Originally Posted by Big-Green-Mud-Machine View Post
    Sib - I'm toying with that idea myself as my crappy cheap ass squat stand , well, cheap ass and crappy. A proper cage would obviously be better. I'm in the southwest and have downloaded the plans for the SS rack from the website and am looking into local metal fabrication companies as I can't weld or have the big boys toys needed to make one myself. I'll keep you updated.
    Thank you sir.

Has anybody built their own deadlift platform ?

Have you had any success with using drop pads for deadlifting substantial weights ?

Maybe combining drop pads and rubber mats ?

Quote Originally Posted by Overtrained View Post

Have you had any success with using drop pads for deadlifting substantial weights ?

I built a platform using two sheets of plywood and rubber flooring. It needed screwing down into the concrete floor below though.

I bought one of these Compact Deadlift Platform - Kustom Kit Gym Equipment managed to get one used for £200. Deadlifting 170Kg on it and there is very little sound -and I’m using steel plates.

I built a small platform only for deadlift. It measures 3' x 8' with the usual 3/4" plywood and rubber mat. it is small because I had some what limited space. I had some materials and I'm thrifty.
    I don't use substantial weight (under 400lbs) and I don't drop the bar after a rep but when I got my new Strength Co plates they are built to very tight tolerance on the sleeves and I was concerned I could damage the bar even with a controlled descent.
    The smaller platform is doing it's job.

I'm not thifty, I'm just tight !😂

I got hold of some very heavy weight electrically installated rubber matting and some floor boards, chopped them in to a footprint size to cover the weights on the end of the barbell.

The whole setup is sitting on 2 rubber horse mats, with concrete garage floor under, and I place a small cut off of plywood to stand on underneath the centre or the bar.

When I figure out how, I'll put a photo on here for you all to laugh at.

My weights are those trigrip cheap ones, and their diameter is smaller then "proper" more expensive weights, and the rise given by the deadlifts pads makes up for that exactly 😆

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the info.
    I'm concerned about low frequency vibration transmitted to the concrete floor.
    I have three layers ( 11cm) of acoustic gym mats and these definitely reduce vibration.
    You can check this by placing s glass of water as close as possible to the platform and record a close up video while deadlifting.
    Any noticeable vibration transmitted through the platform to the floor will disturb the water level.
    I'm currently deadlifting with a very slow eccentric to minimise any problems but this is very tiring.

I'm thinking a pair of drop pads with a gym mat placed on top. This will provide a stable, horizontal surface for the pull and n/loading.
    I'm not sure about the effect this would have vibration suppression.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast