starting strength gym

Thread: What's cue best suggests that it's time to start training with a belt?

Default What's cue best suggests that it's time to start training with a belt?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello all,

Does anyone have a suggestion on when to start training with a belt? I'm in the 6th week of NLP (37 years old, 5'11", 197#, Sq 265, Bench 240, Press 130, Deadlift 360). I would like to avoid straps and belts for as long as practical. I realize SS and PPST give some insight but I want more ideas.

Why did the two books seem to provide insufficient insight?

The books provide sufficient insight into how and why they’re used. A more appropriate question for me to have asked would have been am I more likely to miss a set or injure myself if I decide not to use one for the foreseeable future? My squat and deadlift are weak now and I have no history of injury. Maybe I’m being stubborn and overthinking it.

Are you training?

Yes: get a belt. Get the SS belt.

No: don’t get a belt.

I used one for squat almost immediately. Deadlift I wish I had earlier but I'm stubborn and don't like change so I haven't figured it out yet. I have the SS single ply ready for when I have to reset a bit.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 100kilos View Post
    The books provide sufficient insight into how and why they’re used. A more appropriate question for me to have asked would have been am I more likely to miss a set or injure myself if I decide not to use one for the foreseeable future? My squat and deadlift are weak now and I have no history of injury. Maybe I’m being stubborn and overthinking it.
    Get the ss belt, you won't regret it.