starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gym etiquette question

Default Gym etiquette question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find it a bit rude if the person in the rack next to you comes over and takes a plate from your rack (not from the bar, fortunately) without asking? The kicker is the person took the 5 lb change plate from in front of the plate they wanted and just dropped it on the floor and left it there.

Immediately do the same thing to them, I mean 10 seconds later, and see how they like it.

Yep, rude, but I wouldn't escalate.

I once, while my head was buried in my phone, actually pulled a plate off someone's bar before I realized what I had done. I apologized profusely, but he thereafter glared at me every time I walked into the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find it a bit rude if the person in the rack next to you comes over and takes a plate from your rack (not from the bar, fortunately) without asking? The kicker is the person took the 5 lb change plate from in front of the plate they wanted and just dropped it on the floor and left it there.
    I've had this one. It's especially irritating when you're warming up your squat and they yank the 45s you have on the squat rack's pegs ready to go. There's just a lot of shitty people who go to gyms, but gyms need their membership fees to stay in operation. I remember the never ending quest to find where the 2.5 pound plates had ended up because people would just leave them on random plate-loaded machines strewn around the gym instead of returning them to the proper spot.

I thought about doing that, but as I'm an old white guy and the other lifter was a young African-American female, I didn't think there would be a good outcome for me.

I watched in disbelief as someone started taking a plate off a fully loaded bar whilst the guy was getting settled underneath the bar preparing to squat 330lbs so stop complaining. I also saw an old guy start moving an sit-up bench which was being used by a young woman doing heavy hip-thrusts.

I’ve got into the habit of grabbing the weights I need off the rack and stacking them inside on the floor. That way I can keep an eye on them more easily. Doesn’t work when you need a lot of weight for deadlifts, when I have to go around begging for plates and fighting people off who think I’m leaving the stand.

Having my own gym set up is bloody luxury. No more plate stress.

I thought about doing that, but as I'm an old white guy and the other lifter was a young African-American female, I didn't think there would be a good outcome for me.
    You're afraid of the girl?

The gym I go to does not tolerate this bullshit but that is rare. I also now have the luxury of a home gym.

If it's not interfering with stuff I need to use I let it go. If they take things you're using you have to speak up quickly.

Used to go to a gym in the city where the pts would want to hog three pieces at a time of equipment for a circuit. Now in a very busy gym that is poor etiquette. You just have to tell these people how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're afraid of the girl?
    No, not directly. In the past I've asked guys, for example, to replace their weights and never had any issues. Here I was concerned with becoming the star of the latest viral video highlighting toxic masculinity and/or white supremacy.

The obnoxiousness (and/or cluelessness) of the girl was confirmed when she dropped every rep of her deadlift as soon as the bar passed her knees on the way down. Not lowered quickly, but actually letting go of the bar.

starting strength coach development program
    Probably a CrossFitter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast