starting strength gym

Thread: Adjustable Dumbbells - Rolling Dumbbell Extensions

Default Adjustable Dumbbells - Rolling Dumbbell Extensions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I’m planning to buy a pair of adjustable dumbbells for rolling dumbbell extensions. I’ve found a pair with a total weight of 50kg/110lb (25kg/55lb each).

Realistically how far can most people progress in weight for rolling dumbbell extensions long-term? I’ve also found a more expensive pair of adjustable dumbbells with a total weight of 80kg/176lb, but I’m not sure if this is excessive for just rolling dumbbell extensions. I’d be aiming to do them for 3 sets in the 8-15 rep range.

If it helps my stats are:
    Height: 175cm/5ft,9in
    Weight: 93kg/205lb

Thank you

Video?

Hi,

I found this YouTube video which shows the movement.

Tricep Extensions: Rolling Dumbbells - YouTube

I love doing these. I don’t train with a partner so always a bit weary about using the EZ bar. Those are a great substitution IMO

Why not simply use and easy curl bar? I suspect it would be safer and more stable at heavier weights.

This is an ancillary exercise using a small amount of muscle. It will top out relatively quickly. How quickly will depend on how good your genetics are.

How exactly are these dumbbells "rolling"?

I’m not too sure why they call it that. I’ve been in a similar situation as MFCPete - I don’t often have a spotter available and the EZ curl bar doesn’t fit in my power rack.

But if LTEs with an EZ curl bar are more beneficial than this dumbbell variant I will continue to do them. Perhaps I can use a small squat stand to assist.

starting strength coach development program
    LTEs with an EZcurl bar are easily done without a rack. Sit on the bench with the bar on your lap, lie down and press the bar up like you’re benching, then do your LTEs. When you’re done, sit up and put the bar in your lap. The weight you will use should be quite manageable in this way, much less than what you are bench pressing.