starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic York Barbell

Default Classic York Barbell

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What do you think is a reasonable price for a classic York split sleeve (presumably not bent)? Would you ever sell one of your York split sleeve barbells?

Also what are the plans for your gym equipment in the future? Are you planning/willing to sell some of it one day?

You can find old York bars in garage sales for $50. Depends on if the person knows what they've got, as usual. Mine are not and will not be for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinwillz View Post
    What do you think is a reasonable price for a classic York split sleeve (presumably not bent)? Would you ever sell one of your York split sleeve barbells?
    What defines a classic? just split sleeve or a certain vintage? 60's? 70's? 80's? American made?

In today's market if the seller has any idea that their bar is a York, even a bent junk York bar, then it will be more than $50. Old rusty York plates are outrageously overpriced on the used market.

Like Rip said, garage sales with an uninformed seller who has no internet access might sell a bar for $50 just to get rid of it.

I don't know. If you know how to tell the differences I'd like to hear it since I can't find much information online about the different runs of classic York barbells.

Honestly I've never seen one on a used marketplace for my area (southern california). I would suspect in today's age that a majority of people would notice the barbell looks unique and take 10 seconds on google to realize it's value is more than $50. Maybe I need to do garage sales like you said, but I suspect it will still be a very difficult find.

Why do you want one?

For a couple reasons. I'd like a bar with a smaller diameter potentially for women's use and deadlifts, as an alternative to the 29mm B&R 1.0 I own. Also, and perhaps more importantly, because I like the unique look and markings. I'd like to say I like the history of it too, but like I said I can't find good information about the various bars York has produced throughout the decades. I've spent a decent amount of time over the years looking at Craigslist, zooming in on barbell sleeves looking for a split. 99% of the bars I see are the junk hex bolt kind.

Kevin: I went down a Google rabbit hole looking for York info on the bar and plates I own (purchased new in 1968 by my dad when I was in high school). There is a group of York collectors on a forum at bodybuilding.com. Go to Workout Equipment and the subject is York Barbell Club and York Barbell Club Part II. More info than you could possibly want or need. Not all York gear is created to the same standards. Definitely a generational thing.

It's unfortunate that the York legacy is being curated by goons on bodybuilding.com because York apparently never recorded this shit.

Also it seems most of their info is on the plates. Although those are cool and I'd like to own some deep dish and milled back plates too, I'm really more interested in the 27-28mm split sleeves or other older York bars. Perhaps I'll have time to read through the 500 pages of replies and shirtless selfies a little later.

Mark, have you ever had some steal or attempt to steal any of your plates or bars? Seems like something a black iron gym might run into over 30-40 years.

I think they are afraid of me. They should be. We'll see.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinwillz View Post
    It's unfortunate that the York legacy is being curated by goons on bodybuilding.com because York apparently never recorded this shit.

Also it seems most of their info is on the plates. Although those are cool and I'd like to own some deep dish and milled back plates too, I'm really more interested in the 27-28mm split sleeves or other older York bars. Perhaps I'll have time to read through the 500 pages of replies and shirtless selfies a little later.

Mark, have you ever had some steal or attempt to steal any of your plates or bars? Seems like something a black iron gym might run into over 30-40 years.
    I should have warned you about the bullshit on the site. I would fast scroll to photos of bars similar to mine and eventually got the info I wanted in a diagram which were spacing specs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast