call Dominion and explain your waist / belly size to them,
    they'll build you what you need,
    and then you can punch new holes when it's time, Rip has a video , , ,

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    call Dominion and explain your waist / belly size to them,
    they'll build you what you need,
    and then you can punch new holes when it's time, Rip has a video , , ,
    Yeh they were super helpful when I interacted with them

Keep in mind there is nothing more satisfying that having to buy another belt because you just plain shrank too much for the old one!

Did this get resolved? You get your belt yet?

I'm 5'10, 340# waist at belt height was 51"

I didn't get my belt until my squats and deads were in the high 300's

I got an off the rack 2 ply 4" belt in December. I started on the 2nd to last hole (a surprise to me) so there might be something flawed with the measurement recommendations for fluffy dudes.

Currently (2 months later) I'm down to the forth hole for Squats and 5th hole for press.

I also ordered a dominion single ply 3" SS belt (XL) around Christmas for Deadlift because the 4" belt only made setting my back harder to accomplish. I'm on either the 2nd or 3rd to last hole, still experimenting which I prefer.

After using the 4" belt, I do not like the 3" for Squats, it cuts into my fat a bit. but if I could only have 1 belt I'd say the 3" single ply SS belt is adequate.

As for now I'm perfectly satisfied with the 4" 2ply for squat and press and the 3" single ply for Deadlift and bench.

SQ and DL now in low 400s, bench 300s, press is almost 225 wouldnt want to lift without my belt, squat shoes, and chalk anymore.

Get some !!

I'm late to the party. But, I purchased an XL 2 ply SS belt. My waist (measured fully relaxed at navel) is currently 51". I was at 54" when I started the program. (I'm 5'8" 269lbs, was 278lbs at start).
    The sizing instructions are to measure your waist then subtract 2" and look for a belt with that number in the middle.

As I said, my waist is currently 51", and when I tighten the belt for squatting I only have 4 notches left... so it is at about 44-45" So it seems we fluffy guys compress more.

PS. I have trouble dead lifting with this belt (this is the only belt I have so nothing to compare it to). If I get it tight to where I think I need it for support I fight for air at the setup for the lift. I found going a notch or two looser than squat and rotating the belt so the buckle is at my spine, helps a lot.
    I have found myself wondering if a single ply or 2.5" belt would be better for me and DL.

I think it's your belly, not the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    So it seems we fluffy guys compress more.
    Sorry for the delayed response - off the cuff, does anyone know if you can get email notifications when you subscribe to a thread?

I have found this to be true! Since I posted this thread, I found a buddy that lifts, and he leant me his cheap 4-inch. I am measuring under 45 inches to the belt hole I'm using for every lift.

Also, I'm not even trying to use this thing on the DL yet. READ "THE BELT AND THE DEADLIFT" article on the site, if you haven't yet. Great information.

Should have my SS Single ply by Monday. Pumped to use it!

Received my belt today, and can confirm the Fluffy Effect.
    I measured 48.5 inches all hung out and flabby this morning, and I will try my first squat in it at the second or third from-last hole on the Dominion LARGE. So that should be 44 or 45 inches. At least a 4.5 inch difference from measured belly circumference to effective use circumference, instead of 2.
    Now I probably LOOK like somebody put a rubber band on a cupcake, but fortunately my garage is a thafe thpace for my fluffy little thelf.

starting strength coach development program
    For anyone finding this thread in the future, thought I'd update with observations after using the belt for a year.

I'm just outside of my NLP. Started at a 56-57" gut (waist at navel) was 285lbs (5'8" tall). Got down to a 50" waist at 265lbs with three notches open (meaning I could get skinnier by 3 more inches and I'd be on the last hole).
    This is the XL belt.

As I said before, wearing the belt just made me want to puke and fight for air on DL when I tried using it for DL early on. It was fine for all other lifts. I stopped using it for DL.
    However, the last few months of my NLP my back was not feeling great as the DL hit around 350lbs. I wore it with 5 notches open and it was loose in the setup, but partway through the pull it would be tight enough to support the back. I also used to spin the belt around so the buckle was at the back.

I finished my NLP at 410lbs this way. The other day I had it at 4 notches open and didn't spin the belt around. Lift was even better supported and no major struggle for air/didn't get nausea. Still hard to get a full breath at the bottom. At this point my waist is 51" at 280lbs body weight (I let my beer intake creep back up.) I currently wear it with 4 notches open for all lifts. So I'm basically back to the same circumference and weight I was at 3-4 months into NLP, but it is not uncomfortable now like it was then. I'm assuming the reason I'm not fighting for air is my setup is quicker, I'm more flexible and the fat layer now at 51" is a bit less thick then it was last time I was at 51". Maybe form being better after some coaching helped as well.

PS. When I first got the belt it would pinch my love handles something fierce in the squat if I didn't get it in just a certain place (higher than where I wear it now). Now, no issues at all.
    Last edited by Erich Weidner; 01-17-2022 at 07:19 PM. Reason: grammar, a correction, and PS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12