starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat Guy Belt Questions

Default Fat Guy Belt Questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Never used a belt before. Thinking about putting an order in for an SS belt. Big investment for me, especially if I do the double-ply, but my lower back is staying a little strained the past 3 or 4 workouts, it's been weak for years (prone to spasm/locking up on me when I'm weak), but I believe right now it's because I am loosing form as my deadlifts get heavy. Trying to focus on resetting each rep, and I've widened my stance a few inches so my gut can fit between my thighs. Advice welcome, but not my primary question here. Feels like the sooner I get a belt the better, but I'm a novice, so correction welcome.

NLP; week 5, Fat guy - significantly overweight at 5'10" 277. Waist down an inch and a quarter since I started, weight is pretty much been steady, so that's great, but it is what it is right now.

Fat guy questions:
    1) belts I've had in the past (like for pants), will concave on me some, I presume, just from my fat flopping over them. Is this a problem for pudgy guys with weight belts?
    IF SO, what is your advice?
    2) Assuming the SS belt is what i should do now, which one do y'all suggest?
    OR what else would you suggest?
    I've searched forums and read "Belt & Deadlift." I have a long torso, but having never used a belt before, I'm not sure if I would end up wanting a special thinner belt for the DL or if I might be one of those who could use the same belt for Squat and DL. I could always buy what I need most now, and save up for another belt in the next few months, if that's the best tack.

Thank y'all!

Chandler

If you buy a 3” double ply it will provide more support than no belt at all. If you buy the 4” and can’t use it on the DLs (as many of us have discovered), then you are going to need the 3” anyway. So, logically, get the 3”.

As for ‘concaving’. On cheaper belts probably, but not on a quality, double ply, sole leather belt. If you haven’t owned one, then the rigidity, weight and stiffness might come as a bit of a surprise.

First thing is good for you trying to get on the path. It’ll be hard at times but rewarding as well.

Post some videos In the form check section for on the cheap coaching.

There’s no reason to get the double ply belt. The extra heft is wasted unless your far enough in your lifting career to appreciate slightly more support. Very heavy weights have been lifted just fine with a single ply belt or no belt at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler View Post
    Never used a belt before. Thinking about putting an order in for an SS belt. Big investment for me, especially if I do the double-ply, but my lower back is staying a little strained the past 3 or 4 workouts, it's been weak for years (prone to spasm/locking up on me when I'm weak), but I believe right now it's because I am loosing form as my deadlifts get heavy. Trying to focus on resetting each rep, and I've widened my stance a few inches so my gut can fit between my thighs. Advice welcome, but not my primary question here. Feels like the sooner I get a belt the better, but I'm a novice, so correction welcome.

NLP; week 5, Fat guy - significantly overweight at 5'10" 277. Waist down an inch and a quarter since I started, weight is pretty much been steady, so that's great, but it is what it is right now.

Fat guy questions:
    1) belts I've had in the past (like for pants), will concave on me some, I presume, just from my fat flopping over them. Is this a problem for pudgy guys with weight belts?
    I've searched forums and read "Belt & Deadlift." I have a long torso, but having never used a belt before, I'm not sure if I would end up wanting a special thinner belt for the DL or if I might be one of those who could use the same belt for Squat and DL. I could always buy what I need most now, and save up for another belt in the next few months, if that's the best tack.

Thank y'all!

Chandler
    I got the single ply and have a fat gut. It is very hard leather so at first it's a little painful but it is an excellent product. I can't comment on the double.

**So something I didn't communicated clearly: One thing I'm trying to get at specifically is, assuming I should get one of the SS belts, should I worry about the single-ply belt (or the double, for that matter) bending concave on me because I'm so damn fat? Seems that would make it a less efficient support.

Fat guy questions:

Thank y'all!

Chandler
    This is complicated to explain in an email! As far as the belt deforming, a thicker belt will not roll like a belt for holding your pants up. Also, you are not wearing it in the same place on your body either. I personally use 2 belts. I am 5'8 270#. I have a 4", 2 ply for squats, and a single ply 3" belt for DL. If it is a matter of cost, start with the single ply. You can still use it for everything. The most important thing to understand, is the belt HAS to settle in between you hips and ribs. If it is too wide, you will never be able to get comfortable with it on. In the front push the belt below your belly before you cinch it up. The back of the belt has to stay put between the hips and ribs though. Fitting and measuring for a first belt is kind of a headache for fat people too. If you use the methods suggested for fitting, you will most likely order a belt that is too big. The good thing is, Rip just posted a video on how to punch a hole in a belt. If you do this long enough, you will have at least 2 belts.

**So something I didn't communicated clearly: One thing I'm trying to get at specifically is, assuming I should get one of the SS belts, should I worry about the single-ply belt (or the double, for that matter) bending concave on me because I'm so damn fat? Seems that would make it a less efficient support.
    No. Single or double it won’t bend across its width. In fact you will be surprised just how stiff it is across its length. No double entendre intended.

Get the 3 inch single ply belt, you’ll be fine.

This clarification got cleared and posted after some of y'all responded. Your responses are helpful so far, thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelmccoig View Post
    This is complicated to explain in an email! As far as the belt deforming, a thicker belt will not roll like a belt for holding your pants up. Also, you are not wearing it in the same place on your body either. I personally use 2 belts. I am 5'8 270#. I have a 4", 2 ply for squats, and a single ply 3" belt for DL. If it is a matter of cost, start with the single ply. You can still use it for everything. The most important thing to understand, is the belt HAS to settle in between you hips and ribs. If it is too wide, you will never be able to get comfortable with it on. In the front push the belt below your belly before you cinch it up. The back of the belt has to stay put between the hips and ribs though. Fitting and measuring for a first belt is kind of a headache for fat people too. If you use the methods suggested for fitting, you will most likely order a belt that is too big. The good thing is, Rip just posted a video on how to punch a hole in a belt. If you do this long enough, you will have at least 2 belts.
    Thanks for all the detail! Helpful.

Sounds like the consensus is the single ply SS belt is a good place to start. Can't wait!

Input still welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmccoig View Post
    Fitting and measuring for a first belt is kind of a headache for fat people too. If you use the methods suggested for fitting, you will most likely order a belt that is too big. The good thing is, Rip just posted a video on how to punch a hole in a belt. If you do this long enough, you will have at least 2 belts.
    Looks like I'm going to order an XL belt. I measure right at 49.5-50 inches around my navel (widest part of me), or about the same even if I wrap the tape low in the front.

I WISH I could order a LG belt because I MUST drop some fat, and it would still be a hell of a long time, if ever, I got below 35 (the first hole on the LG). But the LG maxes out at 45, and even subtracting two inches, as the Dominion video suggests, I'm at 47-48, and I assume I couldn't even get the LG on!

SO REALLY I'M JUST POSTING THIS IN BLIND HOPE - if somebody knows a fat-guy secret that the LG would somehow fit even while I lost a couple more inches, PLEASE CHIME IN!

Again, appreciate all the input. Huge help.

DL 260 yesterday - felt like I held my back position - feeling no worse at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast