starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys like the plates from The Strength Co?

Default How do you guys like the plates from The Strength Co?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thinking about retiring my 20 year old CCP made "York" plates to the Craigslist / FB Marketplace wolves. A prerequisite for any new plates would be that they have to be made in the USA.

I also have some milled real Yorks too that I'm somewhat torn as to keep them or not: A pair of 45's that never looked that great, and a couple of pairs of pretty looking wide-letter 35's.

I think the Strength Co plates look good. Is that E-coat a good durable option? Is the 1.99" inner diameter a net positive?

The Strength Co plates are the best plates I've ever used, and if you have the money, you should buy them.

The coating is solid, and the smaller inner diameter does actually give it a different feel, and make the experience nicer.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

They're terrific. I've had them for about 7 or 8 months. The tight ID does feel different when lifting, and makes everything quieter, especially deadlifts. So far the finish is unblemished.

I would recommend looking at a deadlift jack or something along those lines, though, because the tight ID makes loading and unloading a little more challenging, especially if you're in a tight space.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    deadlift jack or something along those lines,
    Testify Strength & Conditioning Fish Hook deadlift jack

After I started my thread last night I spent a lot of time looking into these plates and Grant's overall story and . In my initial ignorance I wasn't sure if the E-coat and 1.99" ID were net positives or not. Those concerns have melted away. Glad to see they are so well regarded here.

Here are my pretty Yorks, ironically I was planning on buying another pair of milled 45's this week:

Here are the CCP variety that make up most of my plates, with an example of some the paint chipping. The only thing I like about them is the deep lip on them to grab 45's:

Late to the thread, but I'll pile on anyway.

Grant's plates are simply outstanding. I've had them a year now and they look almost as good as the day that I pulled them out of the boxes. And they fit so well on my Texas Power Bar that I typically don't put a clamp on the bar until I get to my work sets (just for insurance). I didn't realize how good they were until I went to a gym run by a SSC and he pointed out that I needed to put a clamp on once I was done with my first warmup set; I didn't realize how loose his plates were, and when I mentioned that I had Grant's plates, he mentioned that he couldn't justify the coin to outfit his entire gym with them (fair enough).

I haven't used them, but they are now on my radar for when I switch out my bumper plates. Looks like a great company.

I don't have the strength co plates, but I do have the Rogue deep dish so I'll only comment on the durability of the e-coat. It's been the most durable coating of any plate I've used. It also have a nice texture which provides for a very positive grip while handling the plates.

I have a 1968 set of York milled plates my dad purchased new. I needed two more 45's and got the Strength Co. No regrets. Top shelf quality.

starting strength coach development program
    I ordered two complete sets from The Strength Co. last weekend and was greeted with some of the early arrivals today. My initial impressions are all positive; these plates are a premium made in the USA product that look great, and have a nice tailored fit on the barbell sleeve without any slop. I cant wait to see the 25's and 45's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast