starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifting Platform Ideas

Default Lifting Platform Ideas

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm almost finished with my platform, and I thought I'd share some pictures before I put the horse stall mats in place since I'm trying a few ideas out. This platform has a base of 3 layers (6 total sheets) of 7/16 OSB board, mainly because I found someone on Facebook marketplace selling them for $15 each which saved me a lot of money on this project. The visible layer is 3/4" Red Oak plywood, stained a natural color and 2 coats of polyurethane over a vinyl sticker. Here a couple of ideas I hope pan out:
    1. I stapled down some Harbor Freight tie down straps on the bottom most layer so they are sandwiched in. I hope this will provide a good grip for a few folks to be able to pick up or drag the platform to move it.
    2. I'm using Simpson strong-tie spiked mending plates screwed down to the OSB to hopefully hold the horse stall mats in place and have a clean look. It should also make it easy to replace a mat if needed, and allow them to be removed to remove some weight from the platform if I need to move it. I had to drill some holes in the area between the spikes to be able to attach them. I read about people using these to join horse stall mats for gym flooring in general, so it should work just as good here too.
    I'm awaiting a c-channel power rack I'm having made by Wildcat Mfg in Tahoka, TX (short drive for me) which should be ready this week to bolt down to this 8x8 platform. Once Texas Power Bars ships my All American bar I can cancel Crunch Fitness and flip off the assholes who tie up the squat racks and platforms constantly doing bullshit on my way out.

20210209_213802.jpg

20210315_201722.jpg

20210315_201710.jpg

I'm curious how the mending plates work out. Would save a lot of drilling

It looks nice. I like the straps you used. Please post a pic after you install the plates with the mats.

All finished. The mending plates work great to hold the mats, BUT, there is a "technique" to getting them in place. The rubber is not keen on sinking into the spikes. I developed a delicate method of placing scrap 2x4 over the corner and stomping the LIVING SHIT out of it. A hammer works on the corners closest to the center wood, but the outside corners want to bounce and require the before mentioned 2x4 and shit stomping. All in all, this platform looks pretty good for my first attempt I think. It wound up being 2 1/4" thick overall and should give plenty of lag screw bite for the power rack when it gets here.

The rack was ready for me to pick up today so I might as well show the finished setup. It's kind of funny that I have all this now and still waiting on the barbell from TPB to arrive. As a bonus, behold my facebook marketplace scavenged plate collection. I actually drove 2 1/2 hours to Abilene to pick up 2 pairs of those 45s.

I don't know about those J-hooks...you can't unrack the bar straight up out of most of them. You'll want to unrack your bench press from the top hook of the one with four hooks. Any of the others will force the bar over your face before your elbows are locked.

Yes. They were designed by somebody who never actually used them.

Good points. If they wind up giving me trouble I'll get some structural bolts from Grainger and have some made like the plans in the blue book. The folks that made this for me are a pretty small unknown outfit that does most of their business outfitting high school sports programs with custom lockers, benches, and variations of this power rack design. The whole rack with the hooks was $555, so even if I have to make some Rip designed hooks for it I came out way ahead on a good rack. On the plus side, the welds are really well done and I'm happy with how sturdy it is. I had a long and pleasant conversation with the couple that runs the business and she even told me that with the cost of steel rising they are going to have to raise prices to stay in business. I wouldn't have known they existed at all if it weren't for a friend I shoot with telling me to call them since he is family to them.

I had to try it out with a broom handle (thanks again Covid for the delay in getting a good bar), and it's a non-issue. There is enough distance between were the bar clears the hook and where the next hook's upward curve starts to un-rack the bar from the bench straight up and out with out interference. I tried it with both benches and a couple of different hook positions. Granted, that's true for my anatomy, I need to make sure the same is true for my wife and 2 sons.

starting strength coach development program
    Great looking platform. Getting the rubber to stay put without glue or screws is good design!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast