starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power rack question

Default Power rack question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am moving this summer and will be able to replace my el cheapo squat stand (picture attached for your entertainment) with an actual power rack.

Being 5' tall, I like the adorable Rogue Monster Lite that comes with a 24'' or a 30'' depth (Rogue RML-390C Power Rack 3.0 | Rogue Canada). However, I am wondering whether this would work for my husband who claims to be 6' tall. What depth would be best for him? Space will not be an issue in our next house.

For the record, I am the one who converted him to SS. Not the other way around.

20210315_161317.jpg

Tall people don't need a deeper rack, if that's what you're thinking.

Working inside any rack will seem constricted and awful until you get used to it, but it takes hardly any room to get things done unless you're stumbling around or have a bar path like a gingered goat.

I'm 6' 2" and the only thing I hate about my power rack are the monkey bars because it forces a more narrow grip than I want with my long arms. That rack has a straight bar so it won't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    or have a bar path like a gingered goat.
    That’s a tee shirt surely.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    I am moving this summer and will be able to replace my el cheapo squat stand (picture attached for your entertainment) with an actual power rack.

Being 5' tall, I like the adorable Rogue Monster Lite that comes with a 24'' or a 30'' depth (Rogue RML-390C Power Rack 3.0 | Rogue Canada). However, I am wondering whether this would work for my husband who claims to be 6' tall. What depth would be best for him? Space will not be an issue in our next house.

For the record, I am the one who converted him to SS. Not the other way around.

20210315_161317.jpg
    One thing I’ve found is that rack height is a problem for pressing if you can’t use the outside of the rack due to room constraints. Even at 5’8” I’m often smacking the plates on the top bars on the Rogue. I’ve partly solved it by using an additional set of bar clamps to space the plates further from sleeve stops. I have the 30” depth rack, it’s spacious, but as Rip said, it’s not required.

My rack has a 24" depth and I'm 6'2" tall. No issues for me.

If only someone would design a rack that solves all these problems.

I have that Rogue rack. Squat inside the rack obviously. To press, you have the option to put the j-cups on the outside posts to press outside if you have to due to being too tall for the rack. That rogue rack will do fine.

Rip just plugged the SS rack by Texas Power Systems, that is worth a look also. It will serve all your training needs. No matter what rack you get, by all means buy the SS bench. I did and will never use another bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It would need a room design to achieve that for me. The rack is fine for pressing outside the cage, but with no room to do that it’s a bit of a problem. Same with the SS rack I would assume.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    yeah, but then it won't fit in my low ceiling basement,
    6-4, 20many

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast