starting strength gym

Thread: Home gym finally op

Default Home gym finally op

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Finally have my home gym operating. Went with the Rogue Monster Lite Squat Stand with safety arms, Rogue bumper plates except for some cheapo small plates due to unavailability of quality plates, and a Titan bench. I’m not very happy with the bench. It is 12 inches, and I learned too late from Rip that I should get a 10 inch, but it is also uneven, so I have to place a thin piece of wood under one side of the bottom end. I may order a SS bench. I have my wife, son (23) and daughter (20) on NLP right now. I have a 10 kg and 20 kg SS bars, which are excellent. My only problem is that the gym is too busy with all of us hitting it...

Where did you say you live? I'll be glad to stop by and use it in the off hours, hahaha. Enjoy, it sounds like you put together a great setup there!

Heh. So far so good. All four of have the SS app, so all is well in Smythland.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Finally have my home gym operating. Went with the Rogue Monster Lite Squat Stand with safety arms, Rogue bumper plates except for some cheapo small plates due to unavailability of quality plates, and a Titan bench. I’m not very happy with the bench. It is 12 inches, and I learned too late from Rip that I should get a 10 inch, but it is also uneven, so I have to place a thin piece of wood under one side of the bottom end. I may order a SS bench. I have my wife, son (23) and daughter (20) on NLP right now. I have a 10 kg and 20 kg SS bars, which are excellent. My only problem is that the gym is too busy with all of us hitting it...
    I had a similar crappy bench and recently bought the ss bench. It is relatively inexpensive for the quality and I got it shipped all the way to the UK. You will be very happy with it if you decide on the ss bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    With all the training going on you might need an incline bench in a few months. Titan's bench that sells for about $260 is really quite good and the same bench is sold by several other retailers for about the same price. Most light incline benches are somewhat shaky but serviceable when you need one and nothing else will do. I would either sell the Titan flat bench or fix it to sit flat.

I built my bench using this video. Total build time was maybe 30 minutes and you can have the hardware store cut the lumber for you if you don't have a lot of equipment. Substitute the 10-inch for the 12-inch if you so desire. I use the 12 and I have no issues.

DIY Bench Press - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    With all the training going on you might need an incline bench in a few months. Titan's bench that sells for about $260 is really quite good and the same bench is sold by several other retailers for about the same price. Most light incline benches are somewhat shaky but serviceable when you need one and nothing else will do. I would either sell the Titan flat bench or fix it to sit flat.
    I do happen to have an incline bench, but not currently using it in my program. Likely to add some ancillary incline benches at some point though.