starting strength gym

Thread: Yet another belt post

Default Yet another belt post

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’ve been using a 4” belt for a few years now and don’t notice any significant problems at that width unless I wear it a little too low. I’m starting to outgrow it though and I’m considering buying a Dominion Strength Starting Strength belt at a 3” width. Would it be worth it for me to pay that much to try the new width without any reference, or should I just stick to what I know at 4”? I’m 6’1” with a fairly long torso. I’m pretty sure I know what Rip would say, but I figured I’d ask.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFox1 View Post
    Would it be worth it for me to pay that much to try the new width ...
    You will have to define what is "worth" to you. I have both 4" and 3" belts. I've switched back and forth and 4" is best for squats for me and the discomfort of 4" in deadlifting is less than the hassle of carrying two belts. So I just use the 4".

So for me I defined it worthwhile to spend an extra $100 to make sure I had the belt best for me. Your experience may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFox1 View Post
    I’ve been using a 4” belt for a few years now and don’t notice any significant problems at that width unless I wear it a little too low. I’m starting to outgrow it though and I’m considering buying a Dominion Strength Starting Strength belt at a 3” width. Would it be worth it for me to pay that much to try the new width without any reference, or should I just stick to what I know at 4”? I’m 6’1” with a fairly long torso. I’m pretty sure I know what Rip would say, but I figured I’d ask.
    I think you’ve answered your own question. 3” belts are for those that struggle with 4” as you don’t, then get another 4”. I struggle with a 4” on anything but presses, so a 3” is better.

I felt my 4 inch was too wide for deadlifts, so I bought a 3 inch. Now I realize that I needed a 3-inch all along for all my lifts. I’m only I 5’8 159 lbs, and I have no idea if my mid-section proportions are average, but the 3 feels better all around.

I'm 6' 2". I switched to 3" on squats during a reset just out of curiosity. I found it's far easier for me to get into position at the bottom now and I think the extra support of the 4" is comparatively useless. I feel much stronger with the smaller belt.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    I'm 6' 2". I switched to 3" on squats during a reset just out of curiosity. I found it's far easier for me to get into position at the bottom now and I think the extra support of the 4" is comparatively useless. I feel much stronger with the smaller belt.
    That’s all I needed to hear, thank you!