starting strength gym

Thread: Dropping Weights and Shock

Default Dropping Weights and Shock

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I built a platform with the 2 layers of particle board and 1 layer stall mat. My plates which hit the platform are also all bumpers. Even so, was deadlifting today with only 365 and the shock shook one of the smoke detectors off the ceiling in an adjacent room. This is in the basement on a concrete floor.

Granted, the smoke detector was most likely already loose but for the shock to reach the ceiling in the other room worries me somewhat. I don't care about the noise, it's the amount of shock that I'm wondering about. There are thousands of dollars worth of server computers in the basement as well which I'm very worried about possibly damaging.

Your servers should be on vibration dampers to start - deadlifting or not. That also might not be the most appropriate place to store them if you're deadlifting in the same room.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I've heard Rip say among other things about one's manhood, that dropping the bar on a deadlift is disrespectful to the equipment and the gym.

He never said he dropped the bar during the deadlift.

Edit: I guess it's implied in the subject line.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 04-14-2021 at 06:50 PM.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

It’s a lot of weight hitting a solid object with a lot of force. Things are going to shake.

starting strength coach development program
    I remember one session with my girlfriend, there happened to be the rare gym lifter who was actually doing fairly heavy deadlifts. She was getting unnerved by the weight hitting the floor quite loudly after each rep the guy did, and I explained, "look, there's something like 500 pounds on that bar, there's just no setting that down gently no matter how hard you try."