starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Bar

Default Starting Strength Bar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mark,

I just got the SS 20kg bar and am very impressed. I have a couple thoughts and I hope you can enlighten me:

1. The sleeves aren't perfectly smooth? This surprised me because I thought you were a big advocate for smooth sleeves and the website markets it as near-smooth. It has ridges just like a Rogue bar and makes that zip sound when you load plates. I spoke to TPB and they said that compared to their Texas Power Bar which has larger ridges, the SS is "near smooth" by comparison. I disagree with "near smooth" being accurate to describe the sleeves, but it's not that big of deal and I didn't have any other options for smooth sleeved barbells to choose from anyway. The picture on their site makes the sleeve look smooth, but apparently that is just the angle. Is this something you couldn't convince Buddy on? A little disappointed because it seems most companies do not make completely smooth sleeves anymore, especially for bare steel bars.
    2. The knurl is great, but I'm actually surprised because it's a bit sharper than I expected. I have the original B&R and I thought the knurl would be similar (maybe my B&R used to be this sharp and I forgot, but I don't think so). The SS bar appears to have "mountain" knurl, which I assume is actually somewhat similar to the Texas Power Bar, but less aggressive? I actually do prefer the SS knurl.
    3. 28.5mm shaft diameter feels much better than 29mm, even though I have large hands. The "internet consensus" seems to be that 29mm is better because it's stiffer. I don't understand the problem because I deadlift and squat mid 500lbs with no issue. Was 28.5mm a preference of yours over the 29mm used for the B&R, or was it just the only option because TPB are 28.5mm?

1. They did the best that their machinery would allow. We had to accept a compromise.

2. The knurl is the best I've handled.

3. 28.5mm is the best general purpose diameter for most people's hands. That was my spec to them.

Interesting to know that's the reason and I agree with you about the knurl. Turned out to be a great purchase.

Why was the original B&R 29mm?

Rogue's decision.

Oh, I thought you and York made all of the design decisions. I didn't realize Rogue was involved even though they obviously were responsible for the retail.

Why wasn't the B&R a split sleeve design at the collar like most other York bars?

The original one was a split sleeve. I have two here.

Maybe I'm using the term split sleeve incorrectly - are you saying the original one had a split in the sleeve collar like a York Classic, or just the split at the endcap? Was this before being sold by Rogue? If so, why wasn't the split sleeve design kept?

Also am I right to assume Rogue wanted the B&R to be 29mm because they didn't have a 29mm barbell in their lineup at the time? I've always wondered why Mike Burgener has his name on a 29mm bushing bar considering he appears to be an olympic weightlifting coach and not a general strength training coach. I wonder if he ever even used the thing.

I noticed that my B&R has excellent spin when compared to the SS bar and Rogue bars. I'm assuming that the dual roller pins & groove and washers/snap rings aren't exactly optimal for this purpose compared to the floating sleeve assembly used in the B&R. Although I do realize it doesn't matter for general strength training.

I'd be interested to hear the story about how the B&R came to be and how we came to the SS bar if you ever have time in your podcast.

I don't remember.

Have you observed the sleeves to be slightly smaller diameter? I notice my plates are a tad looser. I don't have a modern TPB to test, but I'm wondering if they machine the sleeves past what they do for a TPB in order to make them smoother.

starting strength coach development program
    What is the sleeve diameter? I know that a guy like you has a caliper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast