starting strength gym

Thread: How do I increase the size of an undersize barbell hole in a plate?

Default How do I increase the size of an undersize barbell hole in a plate?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recently purchased weights to enable me to lift from home. One of the two 10lb weights I got has a hole that is barely smaller than the barbell (don't get me started on how bad the quality control has to be to enable this to happen). I contacted the company, and they sent me another pair free of charge and told me to keep the weights I have. So now I'm wondering if it would be possible to open the hole up somewhat. If I can, I'll essentially get two extra 10lb plates for free. I haven't measured it (unfortunately, I don't have a pair of calipers), but the difference in diameter is very small. It's just enough that the plate won't fit on the end of the bar. I don't have a machine shop, so I can't just throw it on the mill and mill the hole out bigger. The best option I can think of at the moment is using my cordless drill rigged up somehow to make a handheld drum sander with something like 40 grit sandpaper. Has anyone here encountered a similar problem? Did you find a solution, or did you just end up throwing the plate away? Is there some better method you all know of?

Quote Originally Posted by tlewis3348 View Post
    The best option I can think of at the moment is using my cordless drill rigged up somehow to make a handheld drum sander with something like 40 grit sandpaper.
    That will take you an obscene amount of time. Measure the diameter of your barbell sleeve, take the plates to a machine shop, tell them you need the hole opened up and it doesn't need to be concentric or perfect. They'll throw it on a lathe and take the face of the inner diameter off in five minutes. It doesn't even need to be bored out.

I just called Machine Shop of Charlotte at (704) 377-4716 and explained the situation. The owner is closing his shop and retiring, but he said if you call him and bring them in, he'd be happy to help you out. The sooner you call, the better.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 07-15-2021 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Called the machine shop
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    That will take you an obscene amount of time. Measure the diameter of your barbell sleeve, take the plates to a machine shop, tell them you need the hole opened up and it doesn't need to be concentric or perfect. They'll throw it on a lathe and take the face of the inner diameter off in five minutes. It doesn't even need to be bored out.

I just called Machine Shop of Charlotte at (704) 377-4716 and explained the situation. The owner is closing his shop and retiring, but he said if you call him and bring them in, he'd be happy to help you out. The sooner you call, the better.
    Thanks for the information. I'll definitely check it out.

You're welcome. Give us an update when you can.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com