starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift pad height issues

Question Deadlift pad height issues

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have the opportunity to set up an apartment gym, but noise and space are key issues.

I've settled on a plywood platform that will have a total thickness of 1 inch, with 2.5 inch rubber playground tiles to deaden deadlift noise. When I deadlift, then, the bar is going to start ~1.5 inches higher. Maybe less, since the tiles will sit on carpet that will squish down.

This setup is a block pull, strictly speaking, but does it matter? As a non-competitor, I'm inclined to write this off as a tiny difference compared to variability in anthropometry, but I'd be interested to see what other people think, especially in comparison to other crash pad products that are substantially thicker.

You will get about the same stress as lifting from the normal height but it will affect your start position a bit. This may be a good temporary solution but when possible you should lift the full range.

Just make a third one to stand on, or build one that’s 8 feet.

If you're not competing, I don't think it matters in the grand scheme of things if it doesn't matter to you. Otherwise, what Steven said.

Thanks for the inputs, everyone! I think I'll use this setup for the time being, and plan to build a proper deadlift platform in the future.