starting strength gym

Thread: Which Ohio bar for a less agressive knurling

Default Which Ohio bar for a less agressive knurling

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I believe I have the Black Oxide Ohio bar at my local gym. I'm happy with it. It has enough grip for some deadlifts, but not too much so it is uncomfortable for squats. In considering the new bar, my wife and I will be sharing it so another reason not to want an aggressive knurling. I see that Rogue also makes a Cerokote version and Stainless steel. They seem like good options for longevity, but how do the knurling compare on these?

Any Ohio Bar is pretty passive. Standard rogue coating will be milder than stainless, and cerakote will be mildest of them all.

Thank you for the reply Adam. That was all I needed to tip me over the edge and make my order. I will consider your barbells in the future Mr. Rippetoe. It looks like we are going into another lockdown where I live so slowly building up my garage gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Aly199 View Post
    I believe I have the Black Oxide Ohio bar at my local gym. I'm happy with it. It has enough grip for some deadlifts, but not too much so it is uncomfortable for squats. In considering the new bar, my wife and I will be sharing it so another reason not to want an aggressive knurling. I see that Rogue also makes a Cerokote version and Stainless steel. They seem like good options for longevity, but how do the knurling compare on these?
    I have a stainless ohio bar that I keep outdoors. It is a great piece of equipment. I use it for pulls and bench/press. The knurling is very good. I think the coating makes it a bit more slick, but I have never had an issue with it.

There is no coating on a stainless steel bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There is no coating on a stainless steel bar.
    Maybe coating is the wrong word. Isn't there a layer of something that forms on the steel that gives it the anti-corrosion property? I had always assumed this was what made it more slippery than raw steel.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Ohanian View Post
    Maybe coating is the wrong word. Isn't there a layer of something that forms on the steel that gives it the anti-corrosion property? I had always assumed this was what made it more slippery than raw steel.
    Stainless steel is made with a high quantity of chromium. Chromium oxidizes extremely quickly into a very stable oxide. What you see when you see a stainless steel bar is chromium oxide: Cr2O3.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com