starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Use for standard plates?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    As someone who was stupid enough to make 5kg plates in concrete, I would run a 2" holesaw through it, clean it up with a flap wheel and call it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    As someone who was stupid enough to make 5kg plates in concrete, I would run a 2" holesaw through it, clean it up with a flap wheel and call it good.
    You're going to run a 2" holesaw through cast iron? Have you tried that before?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Yeah, that's pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by 19delta View Post
    High school PE teacher here. A guy from the community just donated a bunch of stuff to our weight room including a few hundred pounds of standard weights. I was wondering if there are any iron historians around who know anything about these weights, including whether or not they have any value. Also wanted to know what, if any, practical use there is for standard weights. We do not have any standard barbells. Thanks!

Attachment 7776Attachment 7777Attachment 7778Attachment 7779
    Can be good for those not able to lift a 20kg bar to work up to it using a standard bar/weights, if it’s all you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    "Donated" aka didn't wanna pay the disposal fee at the dump
    Eh, it was a package deal. He had a couple hundred pounds of of Olympic weights, a couple weight trees, and a couple dumbbells. The standard weights did not take up a lot of space. I just threw them in a couple milk crates and brought them back to school. Regarding Andrew's comment above, I talked with our Ag teacher and he was pretty sure that he could machine out the hole diameter to 2". So I think we are going to do that. The other thing I thought about doing was buying some 1" adjustable dumbbell bars and then make up some DBs. We have a set of 5lb-90lbs but only 1 set of each. I figured I could use the standard weights to make up an extra set of our lighter DBs so kids don't have to wait on them.

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    Make up dumbbell sets with them
    Thanks, bobman. I think that is what I'm going to do.

starting strength coach development program
    Be good for a sled/prowler if you have one?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12