starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Strength brand Barbell Knurl Rust

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I thought you were being sarcastic. Will purchase the SS bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Palios, what did I say in the previous post? I don't brush them, and they don't rust inside the gym in North Texas. If you want your bar to never oxidize, you'll have to fuck with it all the time. I expect my bars to oxidize, to the hematite-phase, not orange rust.
    How do you clean the chalk off of the bar if you don't brush it off/out?

Palios, what did I say in the previous post? I don't brush them, and they don't rust inside the gym in North Texas. If you want your bar to never oxidize, you'll have to fuck with it all the time. I expect my bars to oxidize, to the hematite-phase, not orange rust.
    I thought it was magnetite? But either way, it's stable and prevents further oxidation. Looks nice, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    How do you clean the chalk off of the bar if you don't brush it off/out?
    You're not going to understand this, but I'll tell you anyway: I don't worry about the chalk on the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Mark, I have searched for an hour on the forum and I can't find the answer..... How do keep your SS bar rust free? What type of brush? In Tampa, humid garage gym in December. (I recall 3in1 oil in the sleeves to keep the spinning)

Would prefer to get your bar, but would consider a stainless steel rogue if upkeep was significantly easier (bc I am lazy sometimes).

And I'm totally clueless.....
    I have a rogue stainless bar. I live in Miami (not far from the water) and keep my bar outside. I lightly brush with "hybrid athletics" brand brush after every use. The bar hangs in a canvas cover from a bracket on the side of my house. I haven't needed to oil it or apply any solvent to it. Zero rust, almost zero maintenance, and looks shiny.

The other bars I own or have owned have required significantly more upkeep and still rust anyway.

Now I understand your original reply. 'your' bars are the ones you have in your gym, not 'your' bars in genpop, right?

And you're right, I don't understand....AND I will completely trust you. It's your name on the bar, why would I not listen to what you're saying on how to care for it?

Do you at least wipe the sweat off with a dry towel at the end of the workout? Is that all that is needed for the shaft to prevent any rusting? (I know the sleeves need oil a couple of times a year.) the little bit I have read is that bare steel rusts in garages that don't have consistent AC flow.

Thanks for this dialog.

You're not going to understand this, but I'll tell you anyway: I don't worry about the chalk on the bar.

A sufficiently-used bar will have the chalk knocked off of it through regular use. If that didn't happen, no gym owner would ever have to buy for than one block of chalk.

starting strength coach development program
    I just cleaned my SS bar that I keep in the garage in Colorado. I used an angle grinder affixed with a wire wheel. The whole setup is 25 dollars at Harbor Freight and works better than anything if your bar is rusted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12