starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength brand Barbell Knurl Rust

Default Starting Strength brand Barbell Knurl Rust

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I slacked off a little bit and did not clean off some of the chalk on my starting strength bar, and there appears to be very tiny rust spots scattered in the knurling. I have WD40ed that thing and nylon brushed it, brass brushed it, etc , multiple times to no avail. Am I being retarded here? Is there a better cleaner to help with the removal of these extremely tiny rust flakes, or perhaps I need to let the wd40 do its work over a period of longer time before attempting to brush the rust flakes off. Or my brush just sucks possibly.

In theory, since it's bare steel, a steel nylon brush could be another tool.

Amazing, how my bars never rust. And never get brushed either.

Quote Originally Posted by Precious Snowflake View Post
    So I slacked off a little bit and did not clean off some of the chalk on my starting strength bar, and there appears to be very tiny rust spots scattered in the knurling. I have WD40ed that thing and nylon brushed it, brass brushed it, etc , multiple times to no avail. Am I being retarded here? Is there a better cleaner to help with the removal of these extremely tiny rust flakes, or perhaps I need to let the wd40 do its work over a period of longer time before attempting to brush the rust flakes off. Or my brush just sucks possibly.

In theory, since it's bare steel, a steel nylon brush could be another tool.
    Florida vs Texas?

You live on the beach, and keep your bar outside? Right now, the humidity here is 74%.

Use hoppes 9 gun solvent

Ive used it on my barbells for 50 years

A little goes a long way after the first thorough application soaks on it for a while wipe it dry and lightly reapply as needed

You'll destroy the knurl trying to dig out every speck of discoloration. If you've hit it with WD40 and given it a brushing, it should be fine.

Yeah I exclusively deadlift in the shallows. right before I'm done, I completely submerge the bar in the cleansing salt water.

The only time my barbell started to show signs of rust was when we had a leak and it ended up laying in a pool of water for two days. And home gym is in a very humid, almost wet environment.

Mark, I have searched for an hour on the forum and I can't find the answer..... How do keep your SS bar rust free? What type of brush? In Tampa, humid garage gym in December. (I recall 3in1 oil in the sleeves to keep the spinning)

Would prefer to get your bar, but would consider a stainless steel rogue if upkeep was significantly easier (bc I am lazy sometimes).

And I'm totally clueless.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Amazing, how my bars never rust. And never get brushed either.

starting strength coach development program
    Palios, what did I say in the previous post? I don't brush them, and they don't rust inside the gym in North Texas. If you want your bar to never oxidize, you'll have to fuck with it all the time. I expect my bars to oxidize, to the hematite-phase, not orange rust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast