starting strength gym

Thread: UK based barbell and squat rack

Default UK based barbell and squat rack

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all

Moving house hopefully in a couple of months. Anyway I will finally have a garage to build a home gym.

Planning on building a lifting platform, buying a rack, a barbell, weight and an air bike. Looking for good quality barbell, happy to pay 300-500 pounds. Probably have an overall budget of £2000-3000.

I would like to purchase Rogue stuff in an ideal world as per lots of the recommendations on the forum. However Brexit has made life a bit more difficult. I know they add the tax and VAT on for orders just not sure if there are going to be problems with importing the OHP barbell etc.

Anyway looking at other UK companies people recommend. I have looked at Strength Shop, Wolverson Fitness, Bulldog Gear. I am thinking of going with Wolverson as their customer service appears to be better and products look good quality. Not mad on their barbell choices, as stainless steel bar has no centre knurl. I have read very mixed things about rogue.eu, strength shop and bulldog. Does anyone have any experience with the companies above or could recommend another UK based company?

Rebel Strength for rack.
    Buddy Capps bar which can be bought from Strength Shop.
    Primal Strength for the rest.

I have some clients in London that have gotten racks from Rebel.

We also ship via air to the UK for large orders that consist of an entire gym. So many planes going back empty right now due to supply chain issues has made air freight a decent option for UK customers. You're basically looking at between $0.80-$1.00 (fluctuates) /lbs for door to door shipping.

Bulldog barbells and benches are a good option - a review here:

Bulldog Gear Adjustable Bench 2.0 Review '-' Peck me out

For rack it depends how many fancy bits you want - Rogue obviously the masters at this and then there is thegymrevolution sell a good selection and have things like monolifts if you like them. If you’re happy with a simple rack and standard J hook most places will offer something suitable and will free up your money to go in to other areas.

That is good to hear about air freight prices. Hopefully the cost of getting an SS bar shipped to the UK may fall. At the moment shipping is not far off the cost of the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Utred View Post
    That is good to hear about air freight prices. Hopefully the cost of getting an SS bar shipped to the UK may fall. At the moment shipping is not far off the cost of the bar.
    I got the SS bar and bench shipped here last year. Full cost breakdown in an earlier thread in this section.

Even with shipping it is good value be other premium bars.

I have been doing my research on racks and barbells. There only seem to be a few manufacturers of actual equipment in the UK from what I can gather Bulldog Gear, Iron King, possibly BlkBox ( I do not know what they make/import) and Watson.

I spoke to the guy from Iron King about their rack and he confirmed that a lot of companies design their equipment and get it manufactured in China. He has invited me to go try out some of their kit. He was pretty honest with me and told me they manufacture their own racks but barbells are currently imported, but they plan on making their own at some point in the future.

Watson prices are crazy and I may as well just go for Rogue or some starting strength stuff if I go for their prices.

I am leaning towards rogue ohio power bar, even though their customer service is meant to be subpar in Europe. I might compare prices to getting it from Rogue US.

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    I got the SS bar and bench shipped here last year. Full cost breakdown in an earlier thread in this section.

Even with shipping it is good value be other premium bars.
    Have you got a link or title to that thread? I can't find it. Interested in getting a bar imported, looked at a few options but all expensive. Thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Utred View Post
    Have you got a link or title to that thread? I can't find it. Interested in getting a bar imported, looked at a few options but all expensive. Thanks.
    A quick search for "Sib" in this specific forum yielded this — Question for anyone who has built a home gym in the UK.