starting strength gym

Thread: Roller J-hooks

Default Roller J-hooks

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Anyone have experience using roller j-hooks? Did you like like them or dislike them?

I just got the Starting Strength barbell. It’s great but I can’t slide it side-to-side on my rack when it is loaded because the knurl actually works (as opposed to my old junky barbell which had a knurl that was way too smooth). There is basically too much friction that now exists between the knurl and the rubber coating that lines my current j-hooks. The rubber coating has also begun to wear down, exposing metal screws that can scratch the bar.

Titan makes a roller variety that would seem to solve this issue..

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

I found rollers annoying for the squat; I'd rather the bar stay still while I position myself under it. I liked them for bench when I tried them; it was nice to get the bar exactly centered for the unrack.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffreyWeg View Post
    Anyone have experience using roller j-hooks? Did you like like them or dislike them?

I just got the Starting Strength barbell. It’s great but I can’t slide it side-to-side on my rack when it is loaded because the knurl actually works (as opposed to my old junky barbell which had a knurl that was way too smooth). There is basically too much friction that now exists between the knurl and the rubber coating that lines my current j-hooks. The rubber coating has also begun to wear down, exposing metal screws that can scratch the bar.

Titan makes a roller variety that would seem to solve this issue..

Any insight on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Have you ever tried placing your chest on the outside of the barbell, grabbing the upright and pulling yourself toward it? That has worked for me at any weight and my barbell is super sticky.

I don't care for them. They make it easy to center the bar in the rack, but make it difficult to center yourself under the bar. I prefer to use regular UHMW-lined j-hooks and just make sure to rerack the bar correctly so I don't need to readjust it before the next set.

Similar to others I prefer a standard J hook for getting in to position as it provides something to work against.

If I find it off centre for benching or anything I just shuffle it over a little. Not difficult and works fine. I’ve not had any barbell or J hook damage doing this after years and years of it so that kills off the roller USP for me.

starting strength coach development program
    I have 2 sets of the titan roller j-cups. They are great. It hard to use regular ones now. Do you need them? No. But they are really nice. Considering they are only $75, why not get a pair to try?