starting strength gym

Thread: Bar

Default Bar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Rip

Im not allowed in gyms because im not vaccinated, so im training in the garage. I wanted to get the Rogue B & R bar 2.0 because you designed it, but they dont sell it here in Australia and the cost shipping it from usa is too much for me.

So im looking at getting either the rogue 45 lb ohio power bar (bare steel) or the rogue 20kg ohio power bar - black zinc.

I have some questions i was hoping you could answer because both bars are quite expensive and i dont wana make a bad decision.

1. 45 lbs is a touch heavier than 20kg. Does this matter? Are 45lb bars just as good as 20kg bars, or should i be using a 20kg bar?

2. I live in Sydney and its quite humid in the garage. Would the bare steel likely start rusting within a year even with regular maintenance? If yes, does rust even matter on a bar? If its just an aesthetic thing i dont care, but if it effects my training then i care.

3. Ive never used a bare steel bar. Are they easier to grip than black zinc coating?

4. The black zinc version has a longer loadable sleeve length (16.875 inches compared to the bare still which is 16.25 inch). Does this make any difference to how the bar will feel/perform during the starting strength lifts? I only have bumper plates at home too so i was thinking the longer sleeves might be better?

5. Both bars are 29mm, 12cm centre knurl, no whip, and a distance of 43cm from the left edge to the right edge of the smooth metal parts outside the centre knurl. Are these suitable measurements for starting strength lifts?

6. Which one would you recommend i use?

Thanks a lot i really appreciate it, and here are the links to the bars:

Rogue Ohio Power Bar | Rogue Australia

Rogue 20KG Ohio Power Bar - Black Zinc | Rogue Australia

I went for this Aust made bar as Rogue Aust had zero stock. Still very happy with it after 12mths use, can't fault it.
    20kg Olympic Barbell - with centre knurl - BARBELLS, Olympic Bars - 20kg - Product Detail - Australian Barbell Company