starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plate recomendation?

Default Plate recomendation?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a 260 lb set of high temp bumpers (10,15,25,35,45) a rogue bar and squat stand on concrete garage. Everything is going peachy!
    I am 42, 5-10 on linear progression and getting up to 265 on squats and deadlifts.

I think I need more plates, which type should i get?

Option 1) another set of 45 high temps. These are really nice plates but this would be maxing out the bar.

Option 2) Get some 45 steels, maybe rogue shooter or deep dishes.
    I assume this would mean i would need some stall mats maybe a lifting platform? this is kinda a pain in the butt due to high temp plates being different size and the mats being a bit of a tripping hazard when walking around garage.

Option 3) sell or trade my high temps for some other type of bumper that is thinner? I live in london ontario canada and plates seem to be quite rare these days up here. not sure if trading is possible.

What would you do?
    Last edited by Ryan ODonnell; 12-22-2021 at 08:11 PM.

In your garage can you setup for press and squat at the same time?

I ask because I got a second bar to shorten my workout time. I setup press or bench, and also squats. Then superset those resting half as much as I otherwise would.

So maybe get a second bar and start building a set of metal, or thinner bumper plates. That way you can keep what you already have, in case you ever do cleans or snatches.

Just a thought.

Option 2. Keep the hi-temps; they're useful to have. Don't get the deep dish plates, though, they're almost as wide as bumpers. And most iron plates should be about the same diameter as your bumpers (bumpers should be 450mm, many iron plates are between 448 and 450).

You'll want to build a platform regardless. Over time, the concrete surface can start to tear up your nice expensive bumper plates. I assume you have iron 5s and 2.5s. You'll likely also want to get iron 10s and 25s for ease of use.

I'm sure not an authority but I have Hi Temp 45's that I use with my 50 year old milled York set and Strength Co 45's without any problem.
    I would recommend the outstanding Strength Co 45's without any reservation unless shipping to Canada is outrageous.
    I also made a small platform for deadlifting and I have yet to trip on it.

Rogue Hi-temps were the first set of plates I got and to be honest I kind of regret it. If you stick with it you will eventually run out of room on the bar. Plus the bar will start wobbling sooner on squats. Stick with steel plates going forward. Strength Co's plates are the best. Easy to handle and they look awesome. The coating also holds up very well it seems.

Thanks for all the ideas! I know nothing about platforms. I will have to read some articles about whats that all about.
    I thought it would be best to lift off of concrete due to it giving you the best transfer of energy, but being a newb i dont have any idea and dont really know what i am talking about.

A set of strength Co's are 195US for 2 45's then 95US for shipping. Thats assuming i dont get nailed at border for "duty" or extra tax.
    Seems a bit on the pricy side. maybe i should look around for some 50 yr old local yorkies or wait until the next time i drive down to USAville.

I do have some cheap 5 and 2.5 change plates. sound like i might need some 1.25 as well? maybe ill just use a chunk of chain or something if i cant find plates.

for setting up 2 bars, that would be difficult. My couch, pool table and girlfriends stain glass activities take up the rest of my garage. space is certainly at a premium!

Usually I am bagged and need a break after squat anyhow. changing the plates is a good excuse for time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikola Blagojevic View Post
    ...And most iron plates should be about the same diameter as your bumpers (bumpers should be 450mm, many iron plates are between 448 and 450).
    It's worth noting that Hi-Temps are usually a smaller diameter than standard bumper plates. Rogue's site states that they are 445 mm in diameter, and as you said, the standard is 450 mm. 5 mm doesn't matter for anything other than deadlifting, but it's enough to transfer all the weight onto the non-Hi-Temp 450mm plates and reduce their lifespan.

J.D. Shipley is offline Owner, Starting Strength Houston

1. Build a platform to deadlift on
    2. Get some iron plates. I just checked StrengthCo's shipping to Houston and it's $52 for a pair of 45s. Not cheap but those plates are the BOMB. If you can get some standard olympic iron plates, do it. That will be your cheapest bet. I've got 12 in my garage gym (plus a set of cheap bumpers from Amazon that are like Timex - take a lickin' and keep on ticking'). I have had 0 problems with them even though diameters are mismatched.

Get some irons and keep training because 265 will soon become just a warm up weight.

I am thinking about ordering 3 pairs of 45's from strength co.
    are the 5s-25s change plates worth it? or should I just use my bumpers?

For a platform, I would like it to be portable. I think i will make 3 piece platform.
    how many layers of 3/4 plywood do i need under the 3/4 stall mats? Do you prefer middle section to be topped with rubber or plywood?

Thanks for your expertise!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan ODonnell View Post
    I am thinking about ordering 3 pairs of 45's from strength co.
    are the 5s-25s change plates worth it? or should I just use my bumpers?

For a platform, I would like it to be portable. I think i will make 3 piece platform.
    how many layers of 3/4 plywood do i need under the 3/4 stall mats? Do you prefer middle section to be topped with rubber or plywood?

Thanks for your expertise!
    Ryan, as almost all of my gym is from StrengthCo, I may be a bit biased, but you cannot go wrong with any of the equipment. I have a pair of each plate from 2.5-25lbs + several pair of 45's. I have supplemented with 10lb technique plates—not bumpers, but still 450mm diameter which are handy for my clean warmups—and recently I added a set of 45lb bumpers for the pulls since my platform is similar to what you are looking to do. You can always sell your bumpers on the second-hand market and probably still recoup most of your costs there.

I kept my platform 3x 3/4" (since I built at the height of the first year pandemic price jump), with the two bottom sheets lying sideways, the third on top in the middle, running front to back, and flanked by two sections of 3/4" horse mat that run fully from front to back. It seems to be holding up fine, but as my pulls got heavier, I knew that I'd be better off with that pair of 45lb bumpers to help soften the blow. Like I said, the middle is the plywood running front to back, so all of my foot placement is on the raw plywood. After 16 months, it's still grips great without any additional product. Ideally, you should add another layer below, but that may be easier said than done, as I haven't priced plywood in a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast