starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strap safeties for rack pulls?

Default Strap safeties for rack pulls?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It is only a matter of time until I need to introduce rack pulls in my training. I have a Monster Lite rack with its standard-issue pin-and-pipe safeties but I am under the impression that strap safeties would make rack pulls quieter and less likely to damage my barbells. Are strap safeties suitable for rack pulls?

Pin-and-pipe.jpg

Strap.jpg

The bar may move around when you set it down as it finds the low point of the straps. If you put the bar down in exactly the same place it shouldn’t be a problem. As far as damaging the bar on conventional pin & pipe safeties I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

Go to a industrial hose supply house buy some thick tough hose and slide the pins thru it

Thanks a lot, gentlemen. I love the hose idea!

Quote Originally Posted by bjvinson View Post
    The bar may move around when you set it down as it finds the low point of the straps. If you put the bar down in exactly the same place it shouldn’t be a problem. As far as damaging the bar on conventional pin & pipe safeties I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
    I've seen it happen. Bars at my gym are starting to get bent because some people are working carelessly off the safeties on things like rack pulls. A lot of them will just straight up slam the bar down on them after every rep. Bends the fuck out of the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    I've seen it happen. Bars at my gym are starting to get bent because some people are working carelessly off the safeties on things like rack pulls. A lot of them will just straight up slam the bar down on them after every rep. Bends the fuck out of the bar.
    This is a gym management problem. It's easily corrected -- you have to kick somebody out of the gym, and let everybody know that this behavior is not tolerated. If the gym doesn't care, there will be bent bars.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    Thanks a lot, gentlemen. I love the hose idea!
    Tiny - check out the fire department on your post. They may have scrap lengths of decommissioned hoses that they'll be willing to give out.

I put some thin pvc pipe around my safeties, that may be an option for you as well

How do you lower rack pulls that wouldn't result in a bent bar? I've only done them once... Asking out of complete ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is a gym management problem. It's easily corrected -- you have to kick somebody out of the gym, and let everybody know that this behavior is not tolerated. If the gym doesn't care, there will be bent bars.

starting strength coach development program
    Great stuff, gentlemen! You guys are so handy, thank you!

Question for you Bill:

In the RCAF, a common synonym for "firefighters" is "runway incursion". Is this a thing in the USAF too, or are your firefighters capable of following basic instructions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast