starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: comparing new barbell options

Question comparing new barbell options

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    New to the forum, so apologies if this is a common question that's been answered in some form.

I've been working out of my home setup for the last year or so, and I'm now in the market for a new barbell. The "this one will suffice" barbell I found on Craigslist is due for an upgrade.

I plan to use it for the four main lifts in the novice program. I'll be keeping the old bar for rack pulls and other lifts.

Based on my research, I've narrowed it down to these three options:

- The Strength Co. Standard Olympic Barbell // Olympic Power Bar 20kg (45lbs) 29mm – The Strength Co.
    - Rogue R&R Bar 2.0 // Rogue B&R Bar 2.0 | Rogue USA
    - Texas Power Bar Starting Strength 20kg bar // Starting Strength 20KG Bar
    – texaspowerbars

Any advice or testimonials would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Tom

I can't recommend doing business with Rogue anymore. I'm kinda partial to the SS Bar, since I designed it. I've never seen the Strength Co. Bar.

I haven’t used the Strength Co bar but I own the b&r 2.0 and the starting strength bar. I prefer the SS bar primarily because of the knurling.

Thanks and mega-dittos, Rip. Appreciate the reply here.

If you don't mind sharing, why don't you recommend doing business with Rogue anymore? Either way, your lack of endorsement there - especially regarding a bar with your name on it - is sufficient in this case.

When Glassman fucked up last year on the internet, it took Rogue all of 20 minutes to throw him under the bus. Rogue would not even exist without CrossFit and Glassman, and we will not excuse this shitty behavior on their part.

Missed this. Thanks for the context.

I would avoid Rogues boneyard bars. I ordered one but it arrived bent. I returned that bar and ordered another one a month later. Also bent. Rogue customer service was great and they accepted the returns in spite of the fact that boneyard bars have no warranty. Rogue is a big company now and they bend the knee to political correctness. Not surprising.

I have the Rogue B&R 2.0, as well as Texas Power Bar Power Bar and another they made at 27mm diameter and medium knurl (not listed on their website/COVID made out of stock on hand thing) I think same knurl as their body building bar, but they never answered that question so I'm not sure. I'd describe it as "medium".
    I've used a SS bar but only briefly.

I use the TPB 27mm for deadlifts and the Power Bar for everything else. The knurl on the Power Bar some days I like better than others. I like the medium knurl on the 27mm bar generally better. (Though again some days the aggressive knurl just feels right.)
    I do also like the knurl on the Rogue B&R 2.0 bar, but I really don't like that it is 29mm. I don't have big hands, and I plan on selling it as I never use it anymore.

The SS bar I only used at a lifting camp, so not much time with it, but I liked it. Felt good. It's also made by TPB, and has the same style of collar as the bars I own (as opposed to the snap ring thing Rogue does).
    I lift in a bedroom in the house. I find that both the TPB bars are quieter with deadlifts. Or maybe it is just the pitch of the clink sound is more pleasant to my ears. I planned to order the SS bar but I ended up getting what I did due to stock on hand, as when I ordered was at the peak of supply issues for TBP during COVID fun.
    Last edited by Erich Weidner; 01-17-2022 at 12:15 PM. Reason: grammar

Ray and Erich, thanks for the feedback. Definitely talked out of Rogue at this point.

Anyone have reviews of the Strength Co. bar? Their weights are awesome, but it seems like their bar is not as popular.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by trm1548 View Post
    Anyone have reviews of the Strength Co. bar? Their weights are awesome, but it seems like their bar is not as popular.
    I've never seen one, sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast