starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: comparing new barbell options

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by trm1548 View Post
    Ray and Erich, thanks for the feedback. Definitely talked out of Rogue at this point.
    NP,

Note: If you like a thicker bar, the B&R would be a good choice IMO. I do like many of their other products a lot (lat pull down bar I really like, great knurl). Their collars have a bit tighter fit to the Olympic plates (it is just a very teeny tiny difference vs. my TPBs). I can't speak to the SS bar in this regard, as I understand Rip spec'ed the machining a bit different.

In hindsight, for my main lifting bar, I'd go with one of the TPBs (including the SS bar here as I mean TPB the manufacturer, not the specific product).

IMHO a medium knurl is more versatile. I only have a year plus experience with my bars, but I don't bother switching bars for the bench or press. I use whatever I started the day with. I always switch to the 27mm/med knurl bar for my deadlifts. I just can grip it better. And I *almost* always switch to the Texas Power Bar for squats. I like how the more aggressive knurl digs in deep on my shirt/back.

Did I need the two bars? Nope. I just couldn't make up my mind and they had both ready to ship at the time I called. Since I have both, I like to use both. I have zero desire to sell either of them.
    In contrast, the Rogue B&R bar never leaves its berth. YMMV.

FWIW, current PRs are 410x5 for DL, and 350x5x3 for squats. Maybe some day in the future I'll decide the 27mm bar is to whippy. Some people say it is, I haven't noticed anything I perceive as "whip" with either bar. But then I'm focused on my body during the lift, not the bar.
    Last edited by Erich Weidner; 01-17-2022 at 07:24 PM. Reason: One day I'll learn to proof read...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I've never seen one, sorry.
    Very helpful responses. Thanks, everyone!

Mark, did you ever price out the SS bar in stainless? Was it not feasible? Just curious.

I can't recommend doing business with Rogue anymore. I'm kinda partial to the SS Bar, since I designed it. I've never seen the Strength Co. Bar.

Not feasible for the market we sell to. Especially not now.

Definitely understand currently doesn't make sense.

When you say 'market we sell to', is that garage/home gym folks like me or other gym owners (commercial)? Again, just curious. I'd prob have pulled the trigger unless it was like $900,but that's just me.

Just curious, and if you're not wanting to discuss, just delete my post. I'll get the hint.

Not feasible for the market we sell to. Especially not now.

starting strength coach development program
    In 2022, a stainless steel bar would be $900-1000. Nobody is going to spend that kind of money on a bar when it is just not necessary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12