starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sudden loss of power - shoes?

Default Sudden loss of power - shoes?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was 2.5 weeks in training in my garage. I had brought my squat from 170 to 210 for 3 sets of 5. Then after 2 days of recovery I went in the garage and warmed up and put 215 on the bar and after 2 reps I racked it. It felt too heavy to do sets of 5. I ended up using 175 for my sets.

My press that day progressed by 5 lbs as expected, but my clean was also weak dropping from 165 to 155 for 1 set of 5.

I was trying to figure out how this happened.

Is it possible to have weak legs some days? Then I realized I was wearing shoes rather than lifting bear foot. I realize I should get some lifting shoes, but the flattest pair of shoes I have are some converse skate shoes and that's what I was using. If shoes are the reason, then they play a much bigger role than I was expecting.

That was 2 days ago.

Today I trained barefoot and was able to do 3 sets with 215. I will be looking for some lifting shoes asap.

Quote Originally Posted by thisguy View Post
    I went in the garage and warmed up and put 215 on the bar and after 2 reps I racked it. It felt too heavy to do sets of 5. I ended up using 175 for my sets.

My press that day progressed by 5 lbs as expected, but my clean was also weak dropping from 165 to 155 for 1 set of 5.

I was trying to figure out how this happened.
    It happened because you racked the bar without even attempting the rest of the reps. It you fail to even attempt the weights your correctly-designed program has generated for today's workout, it will happen again. Your perception is unreliable -- review the First Three Questions and grow some balls.

Rip thanks for the reply. You are the best. I am now up to 230lbs.

This brings up a related question.

On my second rep my form broke and I felt I was fortunate to complete the rep. I assumed I would also have difficulty completing 3 more reps with proper form. Is there a way to tell when you should stop or just push until you can't come back up? (I have bailed into the safeties once before.)

I'm not sure you read the whole post, but I don't think you answered my original question.
    (Does anyone else have an answer?)

Is it possible to have a sharply weaker day, or do you think it was related to the shoes? So far the shoes day is the only one I have had this sudden drop in perceived power.

He already answered it. He said it's not the shoes, but your failing to even attempt the rep.

But what if it's the shoes? What new information could you gain from this? Would you finally get a pair of lifting shoes like it has been recommended here for a gazillionth time?

On my second rep my form broke and I felt I was fortunate to complete the rep. I assumed I would also have difficulty completing 3 more reps with proper form. Is there a way to tell when you should stop or just push until you can't come back up? (I have bailed into the safeties once before.)
    This is the gift of RPE: Is has become acceptable to be a pussy. Which dovetails nicely with the past 2 years of world history. He fits right in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is the gift of RPE: Is has become acceptable to be a pussy. Which dovetails nicely with the past 2 years of world history. He fits right in.
    Well, he does live in Portland.

Sorry, thisguy I had to go there :-)

. . . review the First Three Questions . . .
    Here is the article:

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Question 3 is "How much, and what, are you eating . . . ?"

You mentioned on another thread that you are 6' 6" and weigh 200.

I know Coach Santana recommended 275, and he is no doubt correct, but baby steps if necessary!

Is there a way to tell when you should stop or just push until you can't come back up?
    Yesterday, I failed my first deadlift rep. Didn't even break the floor. Without letting go of the bar, I tried again, and got the entire set of 5.

In this situation, instantaneous perceptions just aren't as valuable as your training history. I tried again because I had only 455 loaded, and my 1RM is ~565.

Yes I think I wasn't eating enough. I want to progress as expected and that is good advice. I drank the gallon of milk yesterday and it wasn't that difficult.

I'm not sure if you are trying to help me or what. I am completely new to this program. I was reading your book last night and came across this:

"...please understand this, if you miss everything else in this entire book: stronger does not necessarily mean more weight on the bar. Resist the temptation to add weight at the expense of correct technique."

You wrote this book? I'm trying to follow the plan and I had a question about it. I have not been following the plan correctly. I didn't have weight lifting shoes, and I wasn't eating enough. I don't know why you are attacking me when I come here for help.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Kaul View Post
    Yesterday, I failed my first deadlift rep. Didn't even break the floor. Without letting go of the bar, I tried again, and got the entire set of 5.

In this situation, instantaneous perceptions just aren't as valuable as your training history. I tried again because I had only 455 loaded, and my 1RM is ~565.
    Whenever I fail to break the first rep of a deadlift off of the floor (which sadly happens way to often), I always assume that it's because I suck and I just wasn't setup correctly. Sadly that often turns out to be the case. More often I get a partial rep that is clearly going wrong, but in the process of setting it down, gravity tends to put me in a better position (it has a habit of pulling stuff straight down). Maybe I should go to the conference again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast