starting strength gym

Thread: Are there USA Made Bumper Plates (Ideally at reasonable prices)

Default Are there USA Made Bumper Plates (Ideally at reasonable prices)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been looking for Made in USA bumpers. Rogue seems to make cast iron in the USA but not bumpers. HiTemps are USA manufactured but aren't 450mm. I have some that I use as change plates. Even the not recommended Walmart plates are $2/pound and made in China (my neighbor bought them and regretted it). Rep is currently at $3/lb. and I am very happy with the ones I own but they are made in China. Even when I Google and find companies that manufacture in the USA, it turns out that the bumpers are either HiTemp or imported and sometimes still insanely priced (I've seen as high as $9/lb. as if they were made out of platinum)

I needed a pair of 45's during the early part of the virus imprisonment and stumbled on to a used (like-new) pair of Rogue/Hi-Temp 45lb bumpers for $0.60 per lb. They work great for my purposes combined with iron plates but if you had a mixed set of bumpers I guess the diameter could be an issue. My subsequent plate purchases have all been iron and US-made by Strength Co. which are outstanding.

Check American Barbell. Their bumpers are running $2/lb for the 45s, but I can't confirm that they are not China made. They are good quality though.

Their technique plates (very good quality too) are Made in the USA and the website states that specifically for those plates. The absence of that claim on the bumpers makes me think that the bumpers aren't. But give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Check American Barbell. Their bumpers are running $2/lb for the 45s, but I can't confirm that they are not China made. They are good quality though.

Their technique plates (very good quality too) are Made in the USA and the website states that specifically for those plates. The absence of that claim on the bumpers makes me think that the bumpers aren't. But give them a call.
    Thanks I will call them. I first found out about the Hitech technique plates from American Barbell. As far as I know there is only one manufacturer for Hitech no matter who you buy them from. The American Barbell ones say hitechplates.com right on them. I hope this is the case. They don't say so on their web site, but Life Fitness (with whom I normally would not do business) has them on clearance right now and I managed to get a set of 2.5kgs for about a hundred bucks with tax and shipping.

Interesting, American barbell has them in 2.5, 3.75, and 5kg pairs. I've always just used the 2.5kg (or 5lbs) and added iron until I got warmed up and switched to bumpers.

But thank you I will call American Barbell and ask them if their bumpers are USA made. And maybe they will refer me somewhere if not. Thanks again for your help.

I have heard that all the bumpers are imports other than the Hi-temp style ones (made from shredded rubber).