starting strength gym

Thread: Knee sleeves question

Default Knee sleeves question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Old beat up knees. I tried some generic sleeves from a friend for squats. I think they helped.

Looking at SBD I'm wondering about fit and the sizing chart. They refer to "Comfort" fit and "Competition or Tight" fit.

Is Comfort fit still fairly snug? If they aren't tight then what's the point.

Thanks for any insight.

Responses are still welcome regarding sleeves but after finding Rip's video I've decided on wraps.

Knee Wraps with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

I recommend you get your sleeves from a source were they can be returned if the size doesn't work for you. I wear medium Stoics and SBDs and they are tight, there is a technique to getting them on, but I leave them on for my whole lifting session. (I have osgood-schlatter bumps that need protection from the bar in deadlifting.)

As an older lifter with a fairly recent MCL tear, I prefer the firmer feel of a tighter sleeve.

Bottom line, get them from where you can return if what you get doesn't work for you. Use their measuring charts, they are accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Rojo View Post
    I recommend you get your sleeves from a source were they can be returned if the size doesn't work for you. I wear medium Stoics and SBDs and they are tight, there is a technique to getting them on, but I leave them on for my whole lifting session. (I have osgood-schlatter bumps that need protection from the bar in deadlifting.)

As an older lifter with a fairly recent MCL tear, I prefer the firmer feel of a tighter sleeve.

Bottom line, get them from where you can return if what you get doesn't work for you. Use their measuring charts, they are accurate.
    Did you size down to get a tight fit?

The recommended size should be tight enough for training. I wear Stoic sleeves, which are similar in fit to SBD sleeves. At the recommended size, I need to fold over the top and bottom to get them on. If I wait until I have finished my warmup, they can be difficult to pull all the way up.

The reason people use very tight sleeves is to increase rebound and therefore lift more weight. Very tight sleeves can almost replicate the rebound of tight wraps. The competition fit would be uncomfortable and difficult to get on without the use of plastic bags or an assistant. Depending on the federation, the use of either may not be permitted.

I wear a newer pair of the same size sleeves that I train with in competition.

Thanks Logan. I'm right on the border of Med or Large Stoic. I went with Medium. They appear to have a good exchange policy in case I made the wrong choice.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Thanks Logan. I'm right on the border of Med or Large Stoic. I went with Medium. They appear to have a good exchange policy in case I made the wrong choice.
    You're welcome. I rounded down as well.