starting strength gym

Thread: Rack and Bar

Default Rack and Bar

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm hoping to introduce my wife to the program by investing in the following rack second hand:
    Domyos 100, Adjustable Weight Training Bench and Squat Bar Rack | Decathlon

From the details the bar position tops out at 47.2", which looks just about enough for my 5"2 wife.

The rack has a maximum capacity of about 100kg which should keep her going for some time.

I will use the rack for a Press workout, which I find it hard to accommodate at my local gym short time slot.

Since we have limited space I intend to pair this rack with the following 61 inch bar:
    Domyos Weight Training Barbell, 61'' 1.1 inches | Decathlon

Would this be too tight for a woman to use for the squat? Any comments appreciated.

If you can buy those stands for $5 each, go ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you can buy those stands for $5 each, go ahead.
    About a third of the new discounted price on the website. Decathlon has a reputation for selling strong, durable products that are really good value. So I expect the rack to be well made and good for the rated 220lbs.

I dislike the design, but I can't accommodate a half-rack now because I don't have the space.

The purpose of this rack is short term. I will get rid of it if I find the wife not interested.

Later when I get more space I will find something more long-term.

Those rack stands will not fetch much on the secondary market if you decide to sell them. You would be better off with something like this Rogue R-3W Fold Back Wall Mount Rack - Made in the USA | Rogue USA . It cost $495 which is about 4 times the cost of your stands, but you will be able to sell it used if you need to for $400 or so. The wall mount also doesn't need dedicated weight to hold it down and since you seem to be equipment poor, extra plates might be tough to scrounge at the moment.