starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Button-top Stall Mats

Default Stupid Button-top Stall Mats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Seems like Tractor Supply (maybe just in my area?) only carries 3/4 inch stall mats with the stupid buttons on one side. I'm trying to call around and find someone who caries smooth-on-both-sides mats.

But in case I can't find it - has anyone used a textured mat like that either on concrete or in a typical plywood/rubber platform?

I'm concerned that even flipped over with the smooth side up, the buttons would create unevenness. But if I anyone can attest that it doesn't matter, then I'll quit worrying about it and just go buy them.

Deadlifting 4 plates right now, and climbing, if that matters.

Post a picture, I don't know what a button-top mat is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler Williamson View Post
    Seems like Tractor Supply (maybe just in my area?) only carries 3/4 inch stall mats with the stupid buttons on one side. I'm trying to call around and find someone who caries smooth-on-both-sides mats.

But in case I can't find it - has anyone used a textured mat like that either on concrete or in a typical plywood/rubber platform?

I'm concerned that even flipped over with the smooth side up, the buttons would create unevenness. But if I anyone can attest that it doesn't matter, then I'll quit worrying about it and just go buy them.

Deadlifting 4 plates right now, and climbing, if that matters.
    The stall mats sold at Tractor Supply near me (and as far as I know, pretty much all stall mats) have grooves on the bottom so that water doesn't get trapped. The top is a very slightly textured anti-slip surface. I have no idea what it would be like standing on the mat and lifting, but I imagine that it would be fine. Most of us use two stall mats with a sheet of hardwood plywood in between so that we are standing on the wood and the mats absorb the impact of the weights when they hit the ground.

Won’t matter I have a mixture of both styles in my weight room

Never even notice them

This is all that is available. I have these on my platform. The rubber is dense enough that the dimples, which are intended to drain water, will not be an issue for you.

I've had to replace a section of my platform with the type of mat you're describing. I just put the bumpy end on the bottom and the smooth end on top. It works just fine; I've never had an issue.

button_mat.jpg -

Hoping that picture comes through when I reply. If not I'll try it again.

Product Page: 3/4 inch stall mat

Quote Originally Posted by jedwardallen View Post
    I've had to replace a section of my platform with the type of mat you're describing. I just put the bumpy end on the bottom and the smooth end on top. It works just fine; I've never had an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    The rubber is dense enough that the dimples, which are intended to drain water, will not be an issue for you.
    Thanks guys - exactly the kind of testimony I was hoping to get.

Can you say whether the mats net out to 3/4 inches (i.e. do they lie flush with the wood), with the textured side down? Or do the mats end up taller than 3/4 inch (i.e. taller than the wood sheet)?

They lie flush with 3/4 plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by jedwardallen View Post
    They lie flush with 3/4 plywood.
    Yes they do. My only complaint is that when setting down 405+ pounds, I started getting slight grooves in them that sometimes make my bar roll unevenly to one side or the other when I'm trying to set up. When that happens, I just flip the mats around and then eventually change them. I've only changed them once in about two years.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    Yes they do. My only complaint is that when setting down 405+ pounds, I started getting slight grooves in them that sometimes make my bar roll unevenly to one side or the other when I'm trying to set up. When that happens, I just flip the mats around and then eventually change them. I've only changed them once in about two years.
    What if you left the bar loaded for an hour or two exactly where you want it to be at the start of the pull? Maybe it would create a permanent groove and you wouldn't have to worry about the bar not wanting to stay put when you are setting up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast