starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Champion C Channel Power Cage

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    No, it was in NC.

Embarrassing but true. The only good news is that’s probably not the most embarrassing thing I have done so far this year - maybe not the most embarrassing thing I have done this month.

I do not in fact know a welder. I was a software engineer by trade, most of my friends are software engineers. We are generally pretty useless when we retire.

Quote Originally Posted by mikepwagner View Post
    We are generally pretty useless when we retire.
    Especially since you don't know how to google "welders."

I'm with Mike. This isn't embarrassing. It's what I'd have done. Why would I trust Google to actually give me valid results for a decent welder? Google can't even give me decent results on how to DL or squat correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    I'm with Mike. This isn't embarrassing. It's what I'd have done. Why would I trust Google to actually give me valid results for a decent welder? Google can't even give me decent results on how to DL or squat correctly.
    You don't need Google to give you "valid results." You need Google to give you the phone numbers.

Okay...now how do you expect Mike to be able to vett a welder?

Or he could just buy something new that he knows is 99.9% in excellent working condition. He was a software engineer.

This Mike who originally posted is like me....he made a good decision. Has zero reason to be embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You don't need Google to give you "valid results." You need Google to give you the phone numbers.

He doesn't need to "vet" a welder, because a guy with a welding truck who cuts and welds all day for a living is capable of any simple job, like this one. I didn't say Mike was stupid, I just said he didn't know a welder. Everybody needs to know a welder, since things with metal need to be done. And I doubt he's embarrassed. But he wasted a bunch of money, and he's done business with Rogue.

Many software engineers spend exorbitantly to plug embarrassing holes in their knowledge. Judging by the rate of layoffs in the industry, some of them might need to Learn to Weld in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by mikepwagner View Post
    Thanks for all of the input - I ended up deciding to bite the bullet and get a Rogue RML-390 F. It was a $1000, which was a lot of money - but the Champion seemed like it would need a lot of modifications and I was worried about what I would do if I needed to replace the J hooks, etc.
    But you will need somebody to weld that rack to the floor because there's no rear cross-member! So now you have the same problem!

starting strength coach development program
    How do you weld a rack to a floor? Get a metal floor first?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast