starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Old Champion C Channel Power Cage

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan1 View Post
    Unless I am mistaken, the racks in WFAC are bolted to the platform that the lifter is standing on. There is a video of Chase pressing 350 pounds. Although the rack shakes from start to finish, the rack would be fine with a multiple of that weight even if someone was as aggressive as Chase is when unracking and reracking the bar.
    The racks are bolted to the slab. I have a few that are not bolted down, and we have no trouble with them moving, since you're standing in the rack floor when you rack the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan1 View Post
    Although incredibly sturdy, the original SS racks had a working depth of 19" and a 36" base, which I believe would make bolting them necessary. In contrast, the RML-390F has a depth of 30" and a 48" base.
    The original depth racks are no longer available. And again, you're standing on the rack itself when you rack the bar.

starting strength coach development program
    Although the racks were clearly held in place, I wasn't certain if the racks were attached to the platform, the slab or both. Having a rack attached to the place you are standing obviously works. I appreciate that you take the time to explain things.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    In this, I think we are mostly in agreement! To answer your specific question about the Fringesport garage squat rack, it claims to have a capacity of 700lbs. I have not seen any independent testing of that and I haven't gotten my squat or bench up to that yet.

Based on the spec sheets, I have no idea why anybody would by the Fringesport rack. I own it because it's what I could get during the pandemic. That being said, because I own it, there are many positive things in the design that aren't advertised (for whatever reason). Specifically, there are metal plates that reinforce every spot where the rack bolts together. So although it's true that the uprights are 16 gauge steel, at the places where pieces bolt together, there is much more metal. There is actually as much metal in the FringeSport squat rack at 16 gauge uprights as the Titan T-2 with 12-guage uprights. The difference is that the Fringesport has the bulk of the material where it matters most. The Titan T2 is designed so that you can either bolt it to the ground or not which is also a pretty nice feature.

I seem to have hit a nerve here and I apologize for that.

If you go to the Rogue web site and look at the reviews for their "stabilizer bars," they are all "5-stars" with statements like "Before I felt like the rack was too prone to movement, especially side to side when racking and reracking heavy. These stabilizers removed 100% of the side to side movement."

I wouldn't have responded to this thread again except that somebody made the *excellent* point that a rear stabilizer bar would "get in the way" and this seems to be a valid complaint among the users of stabilizer bar (again based on reviews at Rogue's website)

The plate horns on the T2 (and FringeSport) are such that the rack actually weighs an additional 360 pounds when in use (assuming you keep 4x45lb plates on each horn) Of course once you do that the rack is no longer price competitive with heavier racks. It's kind of a hidden cost.

If I were going to buy a rack today based on price it would be the T2. If I were going to look for something high-quality domestically made it would be the SS rack.

I am in no way saying the RML-390F is a bad rack or "unsafe" but selling a rack and then selling accessories to stabilize it is a terrible practice. Either the rack is safe without the additional stabilizers (in which case don't sell them) or the rack needs them in which case they should be included in the package.

The SS rack comes with a 2.375" wood platform that has the effect of lateral stabilization. This is the way things should be designed and how business should be done.
    Thank you for the detailed response. There is nothing to apologize for. You are trying to help. All of us are concerned about safety, so any discussion along those lines is of interest to me.

Although, it is not pretty, sand bags are a cheap option for stabilizing a lightweight rack.

Rack capacity isn't always quoted in the same way. For example, two people could simultaneously load more more pairs of plates to opposite sides of a racked bar than than a lifter could safely remove and replace on that same rack.

People who buy Sorinex and Elitefts racks probably wouldn't notice the added cost of an extra stabilizer. Since none of the manufacturers I mentioned include floor stabilizers with their 11-gauge racks, I am going to assume they are unnecessary. If I owned a half rack, I would certainly add one if it wasn't included. I have over 400 pounds of urethane plates, numerous change plates, three Rogue barbells, a bunch of rack accessories, dumbbells, and a separate deadlift platform, so one more thing wouldn't be an issue if it didn't get in the way.

Any time you can secure a rack, it's worth doing so. Although not everyone wants to bolt a rack to the slab, attaching a rack to a platforms normally isn't difficult. My garage got flooded last year, so no wooden platforms. My rack is on mats which are too thin to attach it to.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345