Anatomical reason not to lift barefoot in a home gym? Anatomical reason not to lift barefoot in a home gym? - Page 2

starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Anatomical reason not to lift barefoot in a home gym?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    221

    Default

    • starting strength seminar august 2022
    • starting strength seminar october 2022
    • starting strength seminar december 2022
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with lifting without shoes, just like there's nothing wrong with lifting without a belt. However, you'll get stronger faster and with less complications if you wear both.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    49,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kansan View Post
    Typical Rip response.
    Please enlighten me and anyone else reading this thread why my reasons for wearing shoes is incorrect.
    Thanks in advance for your insight and wisdom.
    Already done that, several times over the years. You don't like me, go away.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    31

    Default

    I use a Marrs bar (low bar safety squat bar)
    I stopped using a straight bar around 400lbs or so.
    History of bilateral frozen shoulder and it was just getting too painful. Marrs bar makes it a breeze but can't use one in competition.

    I do like you Rip. That's why I'm a paid subscriber to SSN. You actually remind me of my older brother. What I don't like is when someone thinks that their way is the only way.
    We all know your methods work, shoes and all, that's why we're here, but that doesn't mean that everything else doesn't work.
    The OP asked about squatting without shoes because he experienced a decrease in foot pain when dancing without shoes. I simply gave my experience of squatting without shoes so he would be aware that it is possible to squat barefoot, and I was told I was too dumb to understand that smoking causes cancer.
    That is pretty ridiculous and extreme, but along the lines of what I was expecting. My brother is also ridiculous and extreme, but sometimes entertaining.
    Also, I haven't searched specifically about squatting barefoot on the SS website but from what I remember over the years most of the discussion was about squatting in squat shoes vs every other type of shoe and that squat shoes are superior to all other footwear. I agree with this and own two pair of squat shoes. However, I am more comfortable barefoot but I realize that if start having foot/ankle pain the first thing I will do is go back to shoes to see if it helps.

    To Ryan DCNT, I haven't noticed any difference in my ability to add weight to the bar because I don't wear shoes.

    TO the OP, sorry to hijack your thread. I hope you at least try squatting barefoot.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Already done that, several times over the years. You don't like me, go away.
    Kansan - any response to the questions about you being 5'7" 190 lbs 49yrs old and squatting 450+ for sets of 5 across? Can you post a video or something? I really think you are borderline world record holder, certainly can break many state and regional records. Congrats.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    49,208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kansan View Post
    I do like you Rip. That's why I'm a paid subscriber to SSN.
    Thanks for your support.

    The OP asked about squatting without shoes because he experienced a decrease in foot pain when dancing without shoes. I simply gave my experience of squatting without shoes so he would be aware that it is possible to squat barefoot, and I was told I was too dumb to understand that smoking causes cancer.
    I said this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The fact that you squat barefoot and have not had any problems so far does not mean that squatting without shoes is better than squatting with squat shoes. Kinda like we all know people who smoke who don't have cancer. I don't expect you to understand this.
    and all you took from this was that I thought you were too dumb to understand that smoking causes cancer. You didn't understand, as I predicted. Let me explain: the fact that you have had no problems with squatting barefoot does not mean that squatting in proper shoes -- like playing soccer in cleats -- is better than barefoot, since there are demonstrable reasons to protect your feet and interact with the ground more effectively, and proper shoes inarguably provide this. n=1 is not an argument -- not against smoking as a cause of cancer, and not for squatting barefoot. Sorry to be an asshole, but you are wrong.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    31

    Default

    I don't think you are sorry to be an asshole. I think you revel in it. It's your board, be as much of an asshole as you want. I applaud the fact that you allow posts that disagree with you.
    However, as usual, you do not seem to understand the question, Rip.
    Per the OP, is there an anatomical reason to not squat barefoot?
    Since humans and their ancestors have been squatting without shoes for hundreds of thousands of years I would say no. That is much more than n=1.
    However, is there a reason to not squat barefoot with load? Maybe, maybe not.
    Arch support seems like a logical reason to squat with shoes, however, the tendons,ligaments, and muscles of the foot can adapt and get stronger as the load increases, just like those of the back when doing a low bar squat.
    If you would like to actually give evidence other than anecdotal and "seems logical" you should have everyone squat barefoot and see if they have issues and not just say everyone should squat with squat shoes. The true benefit of squat shoes is the hard sole, but even that is an artificial contact with the ground.

    This does not make any sense...
    the fact that you have had no problems with squatting barefoot does not mean that squatting in proper shoes -- like playing soccer in cleats -- is better than barefoot, since there are demonstrable reasons to protect your feet and interact with the ground more effectively, and proper shoes inarguably provide this.

    You are right, I don't understand what you are saying here.....the fact that I squat barefoot does not mean that squatting in shoes is better than barefoot, since there are reasons to wear shoes?
    Maybe a few too many drinks when typing?

    Another example of your inability to comprehend the actual question is that no one said squatting barefoot is better than squatting with shoes. The OP asked if it was OK to try it. I felt the same in the past and tried it, and continue to do it, and will until there is a reason not to. And it is OK for the OP to try it too. It is not the end of the world and it will not kill him. He might like it and everyone knows the most important factor to keep someone interested in an exercise program is they must like it. Keeping him squatting is the most important thing, not his choice of footwear.


    To AFNick68
    No I am not a record holder.
    I do hatfield squats with a Marrs bar. I use as little arm help as possible but I'm sure there is still some. The Marrs bar is great but the handle position makes it difficult to use with a deep low bar squat so I started holding onto the rack, just to put my hands somewhere. Turns out that method was popularized by Fred Hatfield in the 80's (Dr Squat).
    I'm sure Rip has a lot of negative things to say about them but I actually look forward to squatting now and I am getting quite strong.

    Unrelated but an opportunity to brag...my son (19, 5'7, 170lbs) did just win a PL meet. Squat 467.5, DL 484, Bench 275. His PR on bench is 290 but he couldn't get it that day. I started him on the SS method a few years ago. He finally got serious during house arrest and has been lifting seriously ever since. And he squats with shoes. (Nike Romaleos)

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Winter Springs, FL
    Posts
    130

    Default

    No I am not a record holder.
    I do hatfield squats with a Marrs bar. I use as little arm help as possible but I'm sure there is still some. The Marrs bar is great but the handle position makes it difficult to use with a deep low bar squat so I started holding onto the rack, just to put my hands somewhere. Turns out that method was popularized by Fred Hatfield in the 80's (Dr Squat).
    I'm sure Rip has a lot of negative things to say about them but I actually look forward to squatting now and I am getting quite strong.

    I will not speak for Rip or anybody else but, if somebody has a genuine physiological limitation that prevents low bar back squats, I've never heard anything bad said about doing the closest variation that can be done safely.

    I've never used the Marrs bar (and for $700 I never will!) but I do safety squat once a week. When I safety squat, I bring the barbell to the same distance from the floor as I do in a low-bar back squat. (i.e the safety pins are set 24" off the floor regardless of squat variation). With the safety squat, I get about 80% of what I LBBS to parallel.

    So if you are really getting 450+ for sets of five through any tolerable range with the Marrs bar, you're in a position to go for a record as AFNick68 has already mentioned.

    Regardless, if you are happy with your progress doing what you are doing, I sure won't tell a happy person to become unhappy. Especially since your numbers are better than mine and we are similar age/weight. But if things stop going well, I hope you will be willing to try lifting in shoes, try getting more range for your squats, and if that doesn't work try some coaching from an SSC.

    Either way good luck on your lifting and congratulations to your son.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kansan View Post
    To AFNick68
    No I am not a record holder.
    I do hatfield squats with a Marrs bar. I use as little arm help as possible but I'm sure there is still some. The Marrs bar is great but the handle position makes it difficult to use with a deep low bar squat so I started holding onto the rack, just to put my hands somewhere. Turns out that method was popularized by Fred Hatfield in the 80's (Dr Squat).
    I'm sure Rip has a lot of negative things to say about them but I actually look forward to squatting now and I am getting quite strong.

    Unrelated but an opportunity to brag...my son (19, 5'7, 170lbs) did just win a PL meet. Squat 467.5, DL 484, Bench 275. His PR on bench is 290 but he couldn't get it that day. I started him on the SS method a few years ago. He finally got serious during house arrest and has been lifting seriously ever since. And he squats with shoes. (Nike Romaleos)
    Thanks Kansan. Great to hear about your kid; those are some crazy numbers. I am your guys' same height which is why I asked about your numbers since they seemed insanely high. You are a good father in this day and age getting your kid into lifting at that age. It will set him up so well for the rest of his life, even the mental toughness which he must have in spades to be lifting that much at 19.

    One thing to consider, pretty sure everyone on this thread thought you were talking about the standard back squat. I carry no opinion on the Hatfield squat; I leave that to experts like Rip. But the considerations for going barefoot on the Hatfield squat may be very different because of the stabilizing benefit of gripping the rack. I don't really know but just a thought. Personally I don't really consider myself smart enough on the topic to have an opinion so I rely on the experts and I bought a reasonable pair of squat shoes once I read SS and haven't looked back.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Marrs bar is a fantastic tool

    I use one and do both Hatfield squats and free standing squats with it

    Took all the shoulder pain out of squatting and I can do free standing low bar squats with mine

    Iím 70 and try to avoid things that hurt

    Never use my safety squat bar anymore after buying the Marrs bar. Heavy safety squat bar squats hurt my neck the Marrs bar fixed that issue


    Itís worth the money to me because I enjoy squatting again

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    31

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the kind words regarding my son.

    EdTice
    I used lifting shoes for years and will again.
    I have no problem hitting depth with or without shoes.
    I have had one session with a SSC years ago and was told my lifts were good.

    AFNick68
    Yes the stability issue (if there is one) could be lessened with Hatfield squats I suppose, but the arguments about the load on the bare foot are less convincing.

    bobman
    The Marrs bar was a game changer for me as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •