starting strength gym

Thread: Any shoe recommendations based on what’s currently available at Amazon?

Default Any shoe recommendations based on what’s currently available at Amazon?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Any recommendations on the current weightlifting shoes available on Amazon?

I have been a minimalist kind of shoe wearer - FiveFingers in the winter, lightweight running sandals in the summer - for well over a decade now.

FiveFingers seems to have cured foot pain/arch issues I have had in the past - which is why I wear them.

But Rip and others seem to highly recommend specific weightlifting shoes, so I may have to give them a try.

What I currently see on Amazon are Nordic Lifting, Sabo, Core, Adidas Powerlifting 4, and a few others.

Has anyone had experience with any of them?

Sierra.com has Adidas powerlift 4 for 49 USD. I bought a pair about 6 months ago. I noticed an immediate improvement in the squat compared to the barefoot shoes I had been wearing. Other lifts I did not notice a difference.

I have used the Adidas Powerlifts for around 8 years, they are great shoes to lift in, although they are a bit narrow so they may not the most comfortable, if you have wide feet like I do.

I used to wear Five Fingers, before I started training, for similar reasons. When I started, I was on a tight budget, and tried training in Chuck Taylors at first, with occasional Five Fingers for the metatarsal strap, but I realized the need for real lifting shoes around when I found out about SS.

My first pair of lifting shoes were from Sabo - the Girevoy model. (Not because I do kettlebells, but because they were on sale...) The fit extremely well and were great, until they started tearing up in under a year, so I cannot recommend them. From there, I went to my current shoes, which are Do-Wins, but those do not appear to be on Amazon.

Training is training, and day-to-day wear is day-to-day wear - a matter of using the right tool for the use case. That said, I don't have foot or arch pain at all anymore, after getting generally strong, so you may well find that good strength training in good shoes provides more benefit than you think. Sort of like how the strength gained by wearing a belt in training carries over all the better in taking care of back pain in regular life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    I have used the Adidas Powerlifts for around 8 years, they are great shoes to lift in, although they are a bit narrow so they may not the most comfortable, if you have wide feet like I do.
    I believe I saw in a previous (recent) thread talking specifically the Powerlifts that the general consensus was that they USED to be great shoes but the new models are garbage…do you have my experience with the new models?

I’ve had Reebok Legacy Lifter II for over a year. I like them. I think they helped my squat depth.
    They were $140 for an unloved color. Seems like they more now…

I have had a pair of Inov-8 fastlifts for 5 or 6 years now at least, great squat shoes.

Thanks for the replies - late night, I ordered a pair of Nike Romaleos 4 weightlifting shoes.

Most people seemed think highly of them, and I had a foot size scan done at a Feet Feet store that said I needed an 11D, and it looks as though the Romaleos are likely to fit.

I bought them from Nike, so I have 60 days to check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChubbyViking View Post
    I believe I saw in a previous (recent) thread talking specifically the Powerlifts that the general consensus was that they USED to be great shoes but the new models are garbage…do you have my experience with the new models?
    Hmm, mine are several years old so they're definitely not the newest model. Looking at the specs of the new ones, they are the same as the ones I have.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm curious why just Amazon? If you are willing to shop on line, you won't consider a different site? The Rogue Dowin's a excellent lifting shoes. I've used both cheaper version and now the leather ones and have been happy with both.