starting strength gym

Thread: Using 1" diameter all-solid barbell (with 1" diameter holed plates)

Default Using 1" diameter all-solid barbell (with 1" diameter holed plates)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm trying to do deadlifts, squats and benchpressing in an apartment. The loudest thing about my lifts is the clankle of the metal when I deadlift. If I go with a all-solid 1" barbell (with a 1" diameter cylinder and weights that are made for it), what will go wrong? Those cheaper weight sets at department stores should have less clankle. I know some trainers don't care for cheap equipment, but I do not see what is wrong with them.

One option I was considering was using cloth tape around a standard barbell (with a wider diameter cylinder where the weights sit). But I think using cloth tape would make the weights not slide on or slide off easily. I need to keep the clanking noise of the metal at a minimum to not bother my neighbors.

Before I spend the money, I am hoping someone can tell me why those 1" barbells that you never see at commercial gyms may not work. I lift less than 200 pounds, so the plates rattling with the bar are my main concern for the noise. No one is beneath me in the complex.

Quote Originally Posted by todd_h View Post
    I'm trying to do deadlifts, squats and benchpressing in an apartment. The loudest thing about my lifts is the clankle of the metal when I deadlift. If I go with a all-solid 1" barbell (with a 1" diameter cylinder and weights that are made for it), what will go wrong? Those cheaper weight sets at department stores should have less clankle. I know some trainers don't care for cheap equipment, but I do not see what is wrong with them.

One option I was considering was using cloth tape around a standard barbell (with a wider diameter cylinder where the weights sit). But I think using cloth tape would make the weights not slide on or slide off easily. I need to keep the clanking noise of the metal at a minimum to not bother my neighbors.

Before I spend the money, I am hoping someone can tell me why those 1" barbells that you never see at commercial gyms may not work. I lift less than 200 pounds, so the plates rattling with the bar are my main concern for the noise. No one is beneath me in the complex.
    They will bend and are low quality.

Either buy the real deal used or join a gym. You can build a platform and there are some pads you can get to blunt the noise of the deadlift. A 200 lbs deadlift is something you should hit in your first month of LP unless you are very old or some other special population.

Quote Originally Posted by todd_h View Post

If you do the lift as prescribed in the blue book, the weights will make no noise whatsoever coming off the floor as you will have pulled all of the slack out of the barbell. They will make plenty of noise as you return the weights to the ground and there's really not much you can do to avoid it. If you want to minimize noise, use crumb rubber bumper plates. That's the best you can do.