starting strength gym

Thread: Do-win sizing and tie room

Default Do-win sizing and tie room

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I was reading through the forums and Starting Strength videos to find what Lifting shoe to get and settled on the Do-win classics and I don’t remember where but some where I read or heard that, yes, Rouge says to reduce your order to a half size smaller then you normally wear, but don’t do it, just order your normal size which in my case is 10.5. So I ordered the 10.5 and they came in today. I really like them so far and excited to use them, but when I tried them on I noticed that there is about a full 1 inch between the end of my toe and the end of the shoe on the inside. My first thought was well damn should have got the 10 like rouge said but they seem to fit fine and snug otherwise. So my question is, is this normal? Should I be concerned about the extra space? Or just use them a lace them up tight? Or should I get the 10s? What do y’all think and has anyone trained with this much room in front of the toes?

Toe Room!! Sorry my bad!

Search function will help with this.

From what I’ve seen, multiple times people have said, “The Rogue website says to size down a half-size BUT DONT DO IT!.” I think Alex Ptacek was one of those people with that recommendation, but I’m not certain.

We've had a dozen lifters order a half size down and had to exchange because they were so tight. Maybe our coaches and members have weird feet? I wear an 11 and true to size fits snug.

I bought a set of the Classics 4 months ago. I normally wear 10.5 shoes, or 11 boots EE width. I ended up with 11.5 Do-Wins. There is some extra length, but the width is so narrow, and with the straps I honestly didnt know my toes were so far back until I read this thread and checked.
    I like them.
    I tried them because I read they were the widest lifting shoes available.
    They are far better than running shoes and I've never met a Chuck my wide ass foot would fit.
    Good luck

You know, I have not had a lot of luck with the search function. But I did type in your quote and it pulled up several forum discussions and I was not able to find the original info I read but I think you know what I’m referring to. It sounds like you saw the same thing I did.

Yes! Thank you LJBass and Alex because this is exactly why I was asking. At 10.5 the body of the shoe around my heel and meta tarsal area and even around the circumference of the ball of my foot fits pretty decent to maybe good, it’s hard to say exactly without trying on a 10. But I’m afraid if I order the 10 just to get the toe length right the body of the shoe might be to tight and I will have wasted a lot of time and a little money just to get the 10.5 again. It sounds like since the shoe is capable of tightening quite well with the laces and straps, that the toe length is not a big issue. I’d rather have copious toe room then not enough. So at this point I think even though I have an extra inch of toe room I’m just going to tighten them down, start training in them and see how it goes. I’m sure after that I won’t be able to exchange them if I change my mind. But the consensus seems to be that any lifting shoes is better then none and for two months I’ve been lifting in my army combat boots, which I will say, admiditly in ignorance of what lifting shoes are like, surprisly noncompressive when you take the insole out! Does anyone disagree with my decision?

This is an area that goes against conventional idioms, in that length doesn't matter much.

Length of a typical shoe as part of the overall fit is pretty damned important, especially athletic shoes. Fist an foremost, you'll be dragging the tip of the shoe, or changing your gait when walking, running and jumping. The toe should flex with your toe in these cases, and you certainly wouldn't want a shoe shifting on you over many repetitive motions, that's going to cause blisters, then calluses.

Weightlifting shoes are supposed to be pretty rigid heel to toe though. We're not really getting up on our toes, quite the opposite. In all but 1 of the lifts we want to entirely avoid that, we want the whole foot planted. So, we don't really care where the toe area flexes, because it's not going to be flexing. I had a pair of romaleos before do-wins, and I'd swear those have a metal plate heel to toe,

As for shifting around, if your feet are wide enough to search out Do-wins, this is probably a non-issue anyways, they'll fit tight as they still aren't terrible wide(albeit the widest out there AFAIK). Aside from that, the straps are placed on the shoe such that they'll lock shoes around the metatarsal bones.

I wish any of the shoes fit better for my 4e feet, but I found my standard size from Do-wins(10.5) were the best fit. Even if they were only as good as the romaleos(next best fit), they are ~$100 cheaper. Now, I will say that is evident in the build quality, but IDC, as it's better than squeezing them into other shoes, and far better than the inferior ankle mobility my work boots provided. One of these days I'll haul my old wingtips into a cobbler and ask for a frankenshoe to be made, until then, I'll gladly wear the do-wins.

Thanks, and yes that is along the same line as what I was thinking, I have used them for two training sessions now and although there is a slightly perceptible looseness I am not sure it’s real or just the fact that I am thinking they are to big because I know the length is long. No actual issues with training or sliding around. I’m still on the fence if 10’s might be slight better fit, but at this point I think I’m going to cut my losses, leave well enough alone and keep training in the 10.5’s. I’ll up date the post if any changes or issues come up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Stewart 2 View Post
    ... a slightly perceptible looseness
    If you are perceiving a looseness then tighten up the laces and straps. Too long would only give a sensation of not feeling your toes bump into the end of the shoe.

I wear a e to ee size in dress shoes and boots so I went up a half size in my do win classics. I tie the shoe laces loose on the bottom and firm around the midfoot. Then I adjust both straps tight. This give me you firm hold of my foot in the shoe and allows for toe wiggle. I don't like being loose in the shoe and sliding down to bump my toes into the front of the shoe. Because of the heel, you need to hold your foot firm in the shoe.