starting strength gym

Thread: Reebok Legacy Lifter II

Default Reebok Legacy Lifter II

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have large (13 US), wide, and fairly flat feet, and have always had trouble finding a good fit -- and based on previous forums posts I think many of you are in the same boat, so wanted to share my experience.

I recently decided to get a pair of actual lifting shoes (have always lifted in Converse). I started off with ordering two pairs of Nike Romaleos, one in size 13 and one in size 14, figuring if the 13s were too tight the 14s may fit. Very stable shoe, but despite a lot of online commentators saying they are good for wide feet, both sizes were so narrow that they cut off circulation to my toes when laced up, very painful to stand or walk in, and yet still exhibited a high degree of heel slip, so much as to make it awkward and possibly dangerous to walk a few steps forward or back, no matter how much I cranked down the laces/metatarsal strap. Also tried removing the insoles, and while it helped the toe box tightness issue slightly, it did not help the heel slip.

I returned the Nikes and ordered a pair of Reebok Legacy Lifters II in size 13. They're still a little tighter in the toe box than I would like, but since I only plan to wear them for squats I can trade 45 minutes of mild discomfort for improved stability, and right now you can find them online at pretty steep discounts (I paid $125).

Watch for the Starting Strength Texas Weightlifting Boot by Justin, available very soon. In D and EE widths.

Quote Originally Posted by Machaca View Post
    I have large (13 US), wide, and fairly flat feet, and have always had trouble finding a good fit -- and based on previous forums posts I think many of you are in the same boat, so wanted to share my experience.

I returned the Nikes and ordered a pair of Reebok Legacy Lifters II in size 13. They're still a little tighter in the toe box than I would like, but since I only plan to wear them for squats I can trade 45 minutes of mild discomfort for improved stability, and right now you can find them online at pretty steep discounts (I paid $125).
    Have you had your feet measured with a Bannock?

I wear a 3e, edging on 4e. For width, I found that: Romaloes were the minimum acceptable, just barely tolerable for 90 minutes - using normal shoe length size(10.5). Legacy lifter IIs were slightly better, and felt as stable as the Nike. Best so far were the Rogue Do-wins, but I honestly think that's because they are a little cheaper/simply manufactured than the other two. They have less padding, a more forgiving sole(though still stiff enough from arch to heel as you want), and either thinner leather or less stitching on top to support the laces. All that allows my duck feet to spill over a little more than the other two, without causing instability.

When my toes inevitable come out the side, or I break the front metatarsal strap, I'll give the new SS boots a try in the EE - has to be better than finding the "widest" of the others that don't even offer wide.

Quote Originally Posted by fragged View Post
    Have you had your feet measured with a Bannock?
    No - I'm sure it would be informative, but I seem to usually be at the mercy of manufacturers and retailers, who either don't manufacture or don't stock wide widths in larger sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Watch for the Starting Strength Texas Weightlifting Boot by Justin, available very soon. In D and EE widths.
    This is a cool concept -- I've considered squatting in my Justin ropers, which have a nice flat heel maybe about half an inch high and solid leather soles, but I don't think the full-quill ostrich hide would hold together very long. Looking forward to seeing pics / full specs on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    In D and EE widths.
    Light through parting clouds and a chorus of singing angels right there...