starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to wear the belt?

Default When to wear the belt?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have never used the belt to do my lifts so far and have been progressing in novice linear progression without it. However, at a point where my progress is slower than at the beginning, I am wondering if it makes sense to start using it. I already know that proper rest between sets and in bed along with good nutrition are more important factors to consider when programming, but I've always been hesitant about when to wear the belt.

In the same way, if you can share an article on the web where the subject is addressed, I would appreciate it.

I had a SSC coaching me from early on, he said to get the belt right away, it only to get used using it. That way when the day comes, you are ready. Just get it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
    I have never used the belt to do my lifts so far
    I used to think that the belt provided some mysterious and unfair advantage. It felt like cheating. It made me feel dirty. This is ignorance at best and madness at worst.

The belt allows YOU to work harder. It does not do a goddamn thing besides allow the muscles of your trunk to contract harder. The heavy bar allows your muscles to contract harder than they will in a bodyweight squat in much the same way that the belt allows your trunk to squeeze harder than it will without it. Put the damn belt on brother.

I am wondering if it makes sense to start using it.
    It does.

I've always been hesitant about when to wear the belt.
    You put the belt on for things that are heavy. Typically, the last warmup set will see you with the belt on. It's best not to introduce new factors into the work set. You'll want to make sure that the belt is in the position it will be in the bottom before you get there loaded.

After you put the belt on, take a valsalva and do a bodyweight squat to depth. This action will move the belt into the place it would like to be before there is a bar on your back. Having the belt slide around on the first rep of a heavy set is unpleasant.

As Oso and Roy mentioned, now is the time. At a minimum, for your last warmup rep (think of that as your dress rehearsal) plus your work reps.

Rip's The Belt and The Deadlift is the only article you'll need on the topic. Well, that and it being the only one, although there are a gazillion plus one forum threads on the topic that should answer all of your questions.

Thank you for clarifying my doubts about the belt, you and the others.
    Saying that using the belt means cheating or that the core muscles are not activated, I have already read at the time in the books and I have seen in some videos on the channel that this is not the case. It may be true for people just starting out.

The fact is that I never knew if the use was mandatory, and since I started doing the lifts I did not use it and I had no problems progressing in weight, nor did my back suffer at all.

The belt allows YOU to work harder. It does not do a goddamn thing besides allow the muscles of your trunk to contract harder. The heavy bar allows your muscles to contract harder than they will in a bodyweight squat in much the same way that the belt allows your trunk to squeeze harder than it will without it. Put the damn belt on brother.
    So, from your point of view, assuming that rest and nutrition are correct, could it be considered that not wearing the belt at some point could be a limiting factor in the progression of the load, leading to stagnation?

I'm looking at belts at Rogue Fitness. I am seeing that the nylon ones are cheaper than the leather ones. Does the material influence the quality of a good belt?

What do you think of this belt model? Is it fit to lift weights?
    ATX® Cinturón de Halterofilia - Strongman - alta gama

And the use of the belt is only when doing deadlifts and squats? Or also in the other lifts: press, bench press and power clean?

The fact is that I never knew if the use was mandatory, and since I started doing the lifts I did not use it and I had no problems progressing in weight, nor did my back suffer at all.
    It is not mandatory. You might never NEED to use a belt. Very heavy things have been lifted without them.

So, from your point of view, assuming that rest and nutrition are correct, could it be considered that not wearing the belt at some point could be a limiting factor in the progression of the load, leading to stagnation?
    Maybe. Age, injury status, training advancement, etc... all contribute to the decision to wear a belt or not. Try a heavy set of five with no belt. Then the next set with a good belt that has been put on correctly. You will prefer the belt.

I'm looking at belts at Rogue Fitness. I am seeing that the nylon ones are cheaper than the leather ones. Does the material influence the quality of a good belt?
    I'm told suede generally lasts the longest and feels the best. Mine is leather. I've never used a nylon one, they might be alright.

What do you think of this belt model? Is it fit to lift weights? ATX® Cinturón de Halterofilia - Strongman - alta gama
    Looks fine.

I wonder if the nylon belts are stiff enough. I use a Rogue echo belt at 10mm by 4 inches. It is very stiff and supportive, but is not USA made. Titan support makes a belt in the same price range. Consider the Starting Strength belt since this is a once in a lifetime purchase. If the space between your ribs and hips is not sufficient consider a 3 inch belt instead of a 4 inch.

Thanks for your clarifications. And the use of the belt is only when doing deadlifts and squats? Or also in the other lifts: press, bench press and power clean?

starting strength coach development program
    The only lift that I do not use a belt is the clean. And that's because it's a light weight (relatively speaking), much lighter than most of my deadlift warmups. But there's no reason that you couldn't wear it for those, if you wish.

Remember the purpose of the belt is to give your abdominal muscles something to press outwards against when you take your vasalva, making for a more stable core. That's just as crucial in the pressing movements as in the deadlift and squat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast