starting strength gym

Thread: Old barbell question - 28.70 mm two pins per sleeve - rehab or use as is?

Default Old barbell question - 28.70 mm two pins per sleeve - rehab or use as is?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I stopped by the used equipment store today and a I picked up an old used barbell with a center knurl.

The knurl was pretty worn down where it had rested on on the J Hooks - but I laid it flat on the floor and spun the bar on the sleeves, and the sleeve ends did not move at all. I think that means it’s relatively straight.

Both sleeves are are little bit rusty - and the sleeves each have two roller pins. I have attached some pictures - I have no clue as to the brand. One end has sort of a peeled rubber insert in the end of the bar, if that is any indication of brand.

The sleeves spin pretty well, but one is a little tougher than the other.

I have thought of three options: use the bar as it is - don’t do a thing; use some naval jelly to clean the worst of the rust of the sleeves; try to disassemble the bar, use naval jelly to clean up the rust, lubricate and re-assemble it.

I like the look of old steel, so #3 is sort of attractive.

But the last time I tried to get the roller pins out a barbell there was just no way to would work. I bought punches and beat on the roller pins until they started to peen over - without moving. I soaked them down with WD 40 - everything I could think of, and got nowhere.

Other than soaking them in WD 40 and using punches and a ball peen hammer to get the roller pins out, are there other options? If I had a propane torch, I would have tried heat, but I don’t have one.

If I can’t get it out, is taking the bar to a machine shop to see if they could press the pins out a reasonable idea? Or is that likely to be really expensive?

Here are the two pins in each sleeve:

4CADDBDF-BA79-4937-9B5E-F92864445670.jpg

Here is the pebbled rubber insert in the end of one of the sleeves.

A22BB5D5-D1D8-468D-BD78-0E5B17E940EF.jpg

I'd just oil the bushings and use it as is. Buddy Capps makes a two-pin bar like this, and our Starting Strength bar is the same construction.