starting strength gym

Thread: If you could buy one more barbell..

Default If you could buy one more barbell..

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Do all of my training in my modest home gym. Power rack, cheap plates, and last fall finally upgraded my cheap barbell to the SS bar from Texas Power Bars. I don't know much about barbells, but I know that I like this bar 10x better than the previous cheap bar that I owned. Is there anything to be desired outside of this bar for the big lifts? If money wasn't an issue, would there be any value in ordering another bar to throw in the mix? If so, what would it be and why?

Quote Originally Posted by aschaul10 View Post
    Do all of my training in my modest home gym. Power rack, cheap plates, and last fall finally upgraded my cheap barbell to the SS bar from Texas Power Bars. I don't know much about barbells, but I know that I like this bar 10x better than the previous cheap bar that I owned. Is there anything to be desired outside of this bar for the big lifts? If money wasn't an issue, would there be any value in ordering another bar to throw in the mix? If so, what would it be and why?
    I also have the SS bar and it’s excellent. The other bar I have is my old cheaper one that I use for rack pulls etc.

While I don't have the SS bar, I did pick up their Original Power Bar a couple of years ago. Honestly, that has been sufficient. Then I wanted to focus on rack pulls this winter, so picked up another bar in case I bent one doing that lift. So I picked up one of their blemished bars, knowing I was going to abuse it. I clicked wrong and ended up with their All-American zinc bar, which is now my primary and the Original is the one I use for rack pulls. The biggest difference is that in addition to the 32" rings, there are Olympic 36" rings, which I've now find easier to line up my hands for those lifts.

But if you don't have a specific need for a new bar, upgrade your cheap plates to Strength Co plates. They are fantastic, especially on those TPB bars. Even though you will use them, you don't need collars with that plate and bar combo. Such a smooth, tight fit. And damn, they do look great on those TPB bars.