starting strength gym

Thread: Looking for advice on rack setup for my garage gym.

Default Looking for advice on rack setup for my garage gym.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Reviving an old thread for my first post. Looking for advice on rack setup for my garage gym.

I have an 11'x11' area that is part of my garage and only used for gym equip. Currently I have a cheapo power rack on stall mats that serves me fine. The rub is my wife has gotten interested in building some strength and has been training consistently for about 6 weeks now. On training days when I'm in town we spend an awful lot of time loading/unloading the bar and moving pins. I'm considering two options:

1. Build an 8x8 platform and center an R3, or similar, rack on it with hooks and spotter arms on both sides so we can each work on opposite sides outside the rack; or

2. Put two wallmount racks like an RML-3W on opposing walls.

I'm a little nervous about tying into the studs and hanging 315 (or hopefully 405 some day) on it. But I'd also enjoy the space down the middle between the wallmounts for using the C2 rower for conditioning. I like the known quantity of a standard power rack like the R3, but once the bars on it, its going to use up most of the space I have available.

Currently leaning towards the wallmounts, but would appreciate any feedback on better ways to get two people working out efficiently at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Burro View Post
    Reviving an old thread for my first post. Looking for advice on rack setup for my garage gym.

I have an 11'x11' area that is part of my garage and only used for gym equip. Currently I have a cheapo power rack on stall mats that serves me fine. The rub is my wife has gotten interested in building some strength and has been training consistently for about 6 weeks now. On training days when I'm in town we spend an awful lot of time loading/unloading the bar and moving pins. I'm considering two options:

1. Build an 8x8 platform and center an R3, or similar, rack on it with hooks and spotter arms on both sides so we can each work on opposite sides outside the rack; or

2. Put two wallmount racks like an RML-3W on opposing walls.

I'm a little nervous about tying into the studs and hanging 315 (or hopefully 405 some day) on it. But I'd also enjoy the space down the middle between the wallmounts for using the C2 rower for conditioning. I like the known quantity of a standard power rack like the R3, but once the bars on it, its going to use up most of the space I have available.

Currently leaning towards the wallmounts, but would appreciate any feedback on better ways to get two people working out efficiently at the same time.
    What about about someone inside the cage and someone outside with spotter arms?

I did my first four years of lifting at the gym on six post R3. The back posts where used for weight storage and you could easily work two bars, either two guys squatting or on squat and press days I'd warm up the press on the bar behind me while squatting. Rogue make a might nice rack! The only reason I don't use them is the gym bought three new three by three monster racks and replaced the R3s. The R3s when into the open are for use with group classes. So I can also say the monster racks are nice also!

They also have RML folding racks in the group area that I've used when all the others were full. I came up squatting in a rack so using from mount safetys aren't the same for me, hahaha. But that's in my head. Those folding racks are solid, but in this case they are bolt to a cinderblock wall.

Just remember, buy the best, cry once, buy the cheapest and cry every time you use it.

My wife and I manage just fine with a StrengthCo General rack (similar dimensions) pushed up against the wall. We just make sure that we're doing lifts that don't directly interfere with each other. For example, I press outside the rack, she benches inside the rack, while we alternate our work sets. She does her lifts, we slide the bench out of the way, I press, then slide the bench back in place for her to continue. For something that requires most of the rack, e.g., my squats, she just does her pulls outside on the platform. Or just waits a bit until those squats are done, then we can get back to alternating our lifts within/on the rack.

The advantage is that we have the rest of the garage to pull out the rower to work, or even leave the car in place when we aren't planning on moving it that day.

A good rack, a second bar, and a few extra plates (most likely 10s and 25s) and you should be good.

Thanks for the all the input. We got a second Capps bar a few days ago and I fabbed up an extra set of hooks, so we'll give it a go in the same rack a bit longer while I shop around for the best fit for us.