starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gym lifting platform problem

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey. View Post
    It escalated. Now it's a problem to do a controlled drop in deadlift on this platform, because someone literally dropped (not a controlled drop) about 300 kg some time ago and something fell off of the ceiling at the 1st floor (the gym is at the 2nd floor).

They tell me to do it "easier", I try to explain that my 150 kg deadlift isn't a problem here (no problems reported during 5 months me lifting there, the problem was specifically the 300 kg drop). Though they still don't want to "limit" my ability to deadlift in their gym. So it's a shitty situation where they don't understand (I tried to explain) that they needed a platform with dampers instead, which is essentially Matrix Fitness representatives fault (they equipped the gym) — allowing to install hard deadlift platforms on the 2nd floor

They want to increase platform thickness. Am I right that this won't help, because as long as the hitting surface is hard it will transfer vibrations to the floor beneath it?

They also suggested I use bumper plates for DL — I didn't try yet, but will it cause the bar to jump into my face after I put it on the floor? (and bumper plates are stored far away from the platform)
    I'm no fan of Matrix - they're basically the high-volume, lower-common-denominator for general gym and corporate fitness leasing, from what I've seen - the Folgers of gym equipment. But their stuff is, well, serviceable. Prior to my building out in the garage, the first four years of my training was mostly on Matrix stuff at the YMCA and at work.

A good platform generally has multiple layers of plywood underneath, to absorb and distribute the impact, with stall mat on the whole top or just the sides giving some dampening effect. From the photos, it looks like these have at least two layers total, so not bad. Another layer of wood won't hurt anything.

If they're looking to add additional layers of stall mat, however, then two things to be aware of:

1) Make sure to have the same thickness under your feet as under the plates, so it's still a regular DL, and

2) Be aware that multiple layers of stall mat can provide a surprising amount of bounce to manage:
    STRONGMAN's crazy ATLAS STONE technique, CHEATING or GENIUS? - YouTube

It is unfortunate that you're having to deal with this gym's situation. If they feel that bumper plates are a magic talisman that will ward off further surprises for the floor below, that's not insurmountable to handle, but I'm curious...why are the bumper plates so far from the platform? Seems like they'd belong together, especially with their shock and vibration concerns... Maybe you can persuade them to position those plates accordingly?

I think they wanted to thicken a wood part, but I doubt they'll do it. Bumpers are stored in the crossfit zone where they're expected to be dropped on the floor. This zone (but not all of it) is located above some 1st floor utility rooms, so they probably decided it'll be fine. Actually by this logic it could mean I could DL with bumpers in this zone instead, away from the platform, but I doubt it'll be a good idea. I think mostly they did it this way in hopes nobody in this zone will drop weights heavy enough to bother — and I must say they probably were right about it, you hardly see anyone doing anything with bumpers there, let alone dropping them, similar to DLs on the platform.

I'll see if they can put some bumpers close to the platform. Maybe platform stall mat + bumpers won't be very bouncy.

7 months to go on the membership, but if it escalates further it might be a good time to return to the old gym (which is sad as current gym is in 1 minute on foot). Upon gym application I found out their refund policy is on a "case-to-case" basis

starting strength coach development program
    Wow. The bounce was a lot less as compared to non-bumpers, as well as the noise (and I think vibration too). Gym saved (if they'll relocate 4 x 20 kg). Also got an immediate boost to 3 x 5 @ 150 kg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12