starting strength gym

Thread: Repairing threads on cast-iron spinlock collars

Default Repairing threads on cast-iron spinlock collars

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

First time posting. I'm putting together a home gym bit by bit, and recently picked up a pair of used cast-iron spin-lock collars for just the price of gas to get them. Turns out the threads on the spin adjusters are damaged enough that I can remove one of the collar's star nut by lifting it straight off the clamp's threaded section if I carefully keep things aligned so that the threads don't catch. The other collar is in a little better condition and does not permit me to simply lift the nut off. The threads don't mesh securely however, and if I apply pressure to the nut while spinning it to imitate use on the bar it tends to misalign itself and get cross-threaded. Even just gravity pulling down on it is enough for the nut to cross-thread and slip.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck repair the threads on these things and how they went about it. The diameter of the hole means that all the insert sets I've found so far such as heli-coil are too small. That leaves methods such as thread chasers, thread files, and chemical repair with epoxies like JB Weld. JB Weld or a thread file seem like my best two options financially speaking, however I'm uncertain on whether they will be adequate. I'm thinking JB Weld is my best bet as the threads seem to have significant material lost and a thread file can't to my knowledge fix that, but I don't know if it's strong enough with respect to torque when snugging plates or shock impulses when dropping the bar. Probably something I can find some ballpark numbers for online or do some napkin math for if needed. Has anyone dealt with this before? I have another set of collars in good condition so it's not imperative that I repair these, I just don't want to write them off as beyond economic repair/a lost cause if there is something that can be done.

Thanks,
    Donald

Sounds like you wasted some gas.

Sorry to hear it didn't pan out, Donald - that would have been a neat find. Since you have working collars, maybe weigh the stars on their own, and see if they'd make for an interesting pair of fractional plates, maybe 2.5s?

I think you are in the range of buying a news set will cost less that the repair. At this point you need to decide if the objective is to have working collars or a fun project to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sounds like you wasted some gas.
    Feels like it too.
    Last edited by Donald Ferschweiler; 06-01-2023 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added missing quotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    Sorry to hear it didn't pan out, Donald - that would have been a neat find. Since you have working collars, maybe weigh the stars on their own, and see if they'd make for an interesting pair of fractional plates, maybe 2.5s?
    Hmm, now that's an interesting idea. I suppose I could also use them for door stops, paper weights, phone holders, etc. Guess I won't need any kettlebells.

I admire a guy that "finds deals and fixes things".....however....time is money and fucking around costs money also. I call it the hidden cost of fixing shit that is not worth fixing. Why not use the collars as fractional plates and purchase some collars for $55.

starting strength coach development program
    As a couple of you have mentioned, trying to fix them will cost time and money, possibly more than just buying another set. Given I already have a working set and don't have gobs of spare time, it doesn't seem worth it right now to screw around and find out if I can fix them in the absence of a known restoration method. Thanks to all who chimed in!