starting strength gym

Thread: SS gyms in Seattle?

Default SS gyms in Seattle?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Random question - why isn’t there a SS gym in Seattle (or any coaches)? Seems like a decent sized city, bigger than Portland (which has a few), but nothing.

There are "a few' SS gyms in Portland? Washington state has made it impossible for us to place a SS Gym there, so I would discuss this with the Franchise Control people.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Of all the regulators in the country, WA state has been the most unreasonable to deal with so far. We were considering Seattle as one of our first gyms but the prospect understandably got cold feet after seeing the hidden cost of heavy handed regulation in a blue metropolis like Seattle. The lease rates are damn near Manhattan's. It'd probably be a $1/2M startup situation and provided the government, or CHAZ holdouts, don't interrupt operations, I think it'd be a great business. We're not a hard no on WA state, but at the same time we're less excited about the idea than we would be about a Kansas City or a Jacksonville, FL, for example.

Damn. That’s a shame, I got a lot out of taking SS classes in NYC, but makes sense. Thanks for the reply!

Few options in Portland area SS gyms and affiliated coaches. There aren’t even any SS coaches in Seattle, which is a bummer (trying to help a friend learn the method)