starting strength gym
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: zep's intermediate log

Default Saturday 12/12/2009 - Intensity Day

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thought somewhat seriously about upping the planned weight for the squat and maybe for the bench today, but decided to stay the course since things have been going well.

Squats
    Barx10x2sets
    95x8
    135x5x2sets
    185x3
    225x2
    265x1
    295x1
    335x5 PR

Weight was easy, but not as easy as expected. Difficult to warm up today. I actually probably should have done a more extensive warm up as I was kind of tight and achy.

Bench Press
    Barx10x2sets
    95x8
    115x5
    135x3
    165x2
    195x1
    225x5 PR

This was slightly harder than expected also and not as easy as the squats. Will probably go for 230 next time. I have washers for fractional loading, but I travel a bit and that makes it impossible to use the exact same weights anyway. Will have to figure out what to do as I should soon switch to micro-loading on the press and bench press.

Deadlift
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x1
    315x1
    355x5

I've done 365x5 a couple months ago, but it was on a day of light squats. I'm actually pretty pleased with this because at that time when I tried to deadlift after heavier squats, I couldn't do near this much. If fact, I did 365 for a big fat zero back then after squats even though I did it for 5 on a different day!

Didn't feel too bad during the workout, but about 2 hours after I was feeling whooped! Still tired after another meal. Hopefully will be recovered for next week so I can make some new PR's.

Obligatory videos of today's top sets:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZn6kqXn5k4

Default cardio on days off

Rode the stationary bike for 30 minutes the last two days. Body weight was down to 203 this morning, probably should drop down to about 195 or so. Also did a few very light lifting exercises on Sunday.

Legs are still a little sore today, but hopefully tomorrow volume day works out okay...

Default Tuesday 12/15 - Volume Day

Well, wasn't looking forward to today's workout because I've been in a bad mood the last few days and my legs were still feeling tight. Not really sore I don't think, but just achy and tight. Took a little more warm-up and a few more sets of squats during the warm up, but it never really went away.

On the drive home this afternoon, I thought about pushing squats to tomorrow and just doing presses and cleans tonight, but opted against it. Once in the gym, I was thinking maybe I should drop to 3 reps for the 5 sets, but then decided I would try the first set with 5 reps and if it wasn't good, just call it a day on squats or only do 3 sets. Well, the first set didn't feel heavy, but I was still tight and my form was off a bit because of it. Couldn't keep as good chest elevation and back extension today because my hips and hamstrings were all f-ed up. In the end, I did all sets at 5 reps without too much physical strain from a strength standpoint.

Squat
    Barx10x2sets
    95x8
    135x5x2sets
    185x3
    225x2
    225x1
    275x1x2sets
    315x5x5sets (PR for 5x5)

Press
    Barx8
    75x5
    95x3
    125x5x5sets (PR for 5x5)

Presses weren't too bad. Felt a little heavier than expected, but I rushed through the first 3 sets a bit with only about 3 minutes rest. Slowed it down for the last 2 sets, but still a little heavier than I thought it would be.

Power Cleans
    Barx5
    95x3
    135x1
    165x1x10sets
    135x1x5sets

My tightness and other issues really showed up here as to be expected from a more technical lift. It just wasn't feeling right. I've been a bit on the fence about what to do here anyway because I don't feel great on my technique. Was tentatively planning to go to 200x3x5sets, but I ended up doing 15 sets of singles with about 1 minute or so between sets. On the bright side, I might have stumbled on an improvement in my technique. I think I was bending my arms just a little bit and it was causing the bar to not get as close to the body. Anyway, I really tried to consciously keep my arms straight and it seem to feel better so I might try some more singles or doubles next week and just work the weight back up a bit from there.

Hoping to make it through this weekend and the early part of next week and then I should be able to get more rest during the holiday weekend. Maybe some slight programming changes coming in January if needed, but we'll see how it goes for now, don't need to change yet.

Default Thursday 12/17/09 - Recovery Day

So, I had kind of a crappy workout Monday, haven't had too much sleep lately (7hours or so) have cut back a little on my eating (would like to drop about 5 pounds or so), drove 4 hours today was in a bad mood for a few days, rushed my warm up and ended up today with an awesome recovery day workout!

Recovery days are supposed to be easy, but sometimes they don't feel that way, but today everything felt light. Was a pleasant surprise.

Front Squats
    Barx8x2sets
    95x5
    135x3
    165x1
    195x3x3sets

The way these felt today, I might as well go up 10 more pounds next week.

Bench Press
    Barx10x2sets
    95x8
    115x5
    135x3
    165x2
    185x5x2sets

(might go up another 5-10 pounds on these for light day)

Chin-ups
    body weight x 6x2sets (not to failure)

considering sticking with 5 reps and adding a set, but probably not now...

45 degree back extensions
    body weight x20x2sets

will add some weight on these next week

looking to hit 375x3 on both squats and deadlifts saturday and hopefully a 150x5 press...wasn't feeling too good about it, but after today I'm looking forward to it more.

really strong squats with good form! looking very good in here, keep it up.

Default Saturday 12/19/2009 - Intensity Day

Well, didn't feel too bad considering suboptimal recovery (sleep) and driving a lot this week. Workout started kind of bad, but all in all was ok. Was very tight so did a bit more warm ups and lots of warm up sets in the squat.

Squat
    Barx10x2sets
    95x8
    135x5x2sets
    185x3
    185x1
    225x2
    225x1
    275x1x2sets
    325x1
    375x3 PR

I'm counting the 375 as I had plenty of strength...I'm trying to figure out how to get the video from my phone as I forgot my normal camera. I really should not lift at the gym I was at on Saturday. The god damn floor is not flat (is wavy or has chunks out or something) and on the first rep I got to the top and had to take a small step back to keep my balance. Then on the second rep, I fell completely back into the power rack supports but kept the weight on my back and stood up. Settled back in for the 3rd rep and leaned forward a bit more to make sure I didn't fall back again and got it ok. If I can get the video uploaded, you'll see a good example of the importance of a strong midsection which I believe I have...and it showed.

Press
    Barx8
    75x5
    95x3
    125x1
    150x5 PR

Presses felt pretty good. The last rep was tough. I did wear a belt for the last set, but I haven't normally been wearing one for presses.

Deadlifts
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x1
    325x1
    375x3 PR

Deadlifts felt heavy during warm ups and I was afraid the squats and presses had taken too much out of my back. I was still a bit pissed from the squat mishap and really wanted to PR the press and deads to make up for it. My back didn't let me down. The 375 felt heavier than anything I've attempted recently (and it is!), but my back has really gotten strong and my deadlift has been doing great lately. Would love to keep going to 405x3...could probably do it without squats on the same day, but doing it with squats would be awesome for now. Really hoping for 500+ deadlift next year...I did 505 sumo style in a meet back in 2001, but I'm sticking with conventional for general strength. No competition plans.

Still need to get back on track with recovery (sleep), but if I can make it through the early part of this week, I see lots of sleep in my future for the 4 day weekend...

Default Figured out the videos

Press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-0dpjXKa6s

Squat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_q02oWGeN0

I'm still pissed about squatting on that floor and getting screwed up!

Deadlift: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qf3BZCePGo

Default Tuesday 12/22/2009 - Volume Day

Well, debated last week about deloading a bit even though I haven't stalled and was trying to get through today so I can rest up over the weekend. Probably could have pushed through today and got all the sets and reps in, but since my recovery ability isn't the best and I've been a little short of sleep and feeling tired and my past training experience has shown that if I don't deload every now and then, I just end up getting injured, I decided today was the day to deload.

Wasn't sure exactly what I was going to do. Thought maybe just do warm up sets on the squat and then the rest of the workout normal, but ended up just warming up normal and then doing only 1 set of 5 in the squat and bench press with the planned weight instead of 5 sets.

Squat
    Barx10x2sets
    95x8
    135x5x2sets
    185x3
    225x2
    265x1
    295x1
    325x5x1set only

Felt pretty good, but my whole body is just tired so stopped after one set anyway.

Bench Press
    Barx10x2sets
    95x8
    115x5
    135x3
    165x2
    195x1
    215x5x1set only

Power Clean
    Barx5
    95x3
    135x2x5sets
    165x1
    195x1
    205x1 PR
    225x1 (missed twice)

Decided to mess around a bit on the cleans to see what I might be capable of. 205 was the most I've ever attempted and felt pretty good. The first attempt at 225 felt like I gave it a pretty good pull, but not enough. Maybe if I was proficient at a full squat clean, I could have gotten under it, but not a power clean.

I'm hoping that the rest of the week goes well and I will just go into intensity day on Saturday as planned and everything was normal. If I feel like I still need a break, I'll have to figure something out there also. I plan on just going back into the normal volume day next week with 325 for the squat and 215 for the bench.

Default Thursday 12/24/2009 - Recovery Day

Pretty good day today, but hey, it's recovery day...supposed to be easy. Still felt a little bit of total body fatigue, but not much strength fatigue if that makes sense...could be because I've been eating a bunch of junk food as well as being a bit overextended on the training / recovery front. Still playing it by ear as far whether to back off or go as normal on intensity day on Saturday. Game day decision....

Front Squats
    Barx8x2sets
    95x5
    135x3
    175x1
    205x3x3sets (PR...well, never tried to push these, but it's the most I've done. still not too hard)

Felt pretty good, but they should since I only did one set on volume day Tuesday...Not sure how much to push these since it is recovery day. I'm sure I could go up 10 lbs, but maybe wait to see how next week's volume day shakes out. I guess this is one advantage to sticking to back squats, just use 80% of your Monday weight and you have no worries.

Press
    Barx8
    75x5
    95x3
    125x5x2sets

Someone using the rack (also for presses!) so just cleaned these first. No problems, but felt heavier than expected. Still a good weight for recovery day.

45 degree back extensions
    +20lbs x 15x2sets

Held weight behind the neck and made it a bit harder. felt good. Maybe 25-30lbs and 10 reps next time

Pull-ups
    body weight x6x2sets (not quite to failure)

Hanging leg raises - 3 sets

Default Saturday 12/26/2009 - Intensity

starting strength coach development program
    Felt a little better today so went ahead with intensity day as pretty much planned.

Squat
    Barx10x2sets
    95x8
    135x5x2sets
    185x3
    185x1
    225x2
    275x1
    315x1
    355x5 PR

I've been wanting to test some heavier weights and debated about sticking with 3 reps here or going to 365 for the set of 5, but wasn't feeling it in the squat today. Set went ok, but a little disappointed because I thought it would feel lighter. I think maybe I should modify my squat programming a bit. Might drop to 3 sets of 5 on volume day for a couple weeks to see how that goes. Also have been debating about doing DE sets on intensity day instead for a bit of a break, but maybe that's a more dramatic programming change that can wait for now. Will keep other programming the same for now if I do this.

Bench Press
    Barx10x2sets
    95x8
    115x5
    135x3
    165x2
    195x1
    230x5 PR

I believe this is an all-time PR for me. Up to this point I've mostly been regaining strength that I've had some time ago, but I don't think I've ever done this before. I know it's not great, but my bench has never been good and with shoulder problems and shoulder surgery a while back, I'm glad to break some new ground. I'm hoping the shoulders hold up and I can somehow make it to a 300+ bench press.

Deadlifts
    135x5
    185x3
    225x2
    275x1
    325x1
    385x5 PR

Was supposed to only go to 375 for 5 reps, but I couldn't resist going heavier and was only going to do 3 reps which still would have been a PR, but thought I had more in me so got the 5 reps at 385. Was pretty tough and took quite a bit out of me even though not quite a complete 5RM.

Videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUSwl-otY5s

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast