starting strength gym
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Going Intermediate - very slowly

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

yesterday I ventured that I felt some improvements in my Power Clean. But I was a bit disheartened to see that the camera seems to think otherwise.

Here is a set from some time ago, about which I asked for some advice (the thread is here: http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...ad.php?t=13916):
    http://www.vimeo.com/8307530

And here is a set from yesterday, again viewed from the side: http://vimeo.com/9063739

I've also got front views, from the same days. This is the old video: http://www.vimeo.com/8308487

And this is from yesterday's sessions: http://vimeo.com/9063959

The bounce is still there, and so are all the other issues highlighted more than a month ago. On top of this, my first pull seems to have gone to pot. In the side view you can see the bar moving away from my legs as soon as it leaves the floor. From there on it moves vertical, but the damage has been done.

As I said, I thought I had done better, but it's clear I was quite wrong.

IPB

Note:
    I know, I'm using a shorter bar, but it's got the same diameter as the proper ones. Also, there are no bumper or spacer wheels at my gym. This means that if I used the standard bar, the minimum weight I could load with the 45# wheels would be around 140 pounds. Enough for work sets, but for volume sets I would have to use smaller wheels, which make the bar sit lower, and therefore make for a different first pull. Once I increase the load, I'll switch to long bar for everything.

Sunday January 31st, 2010

Last night I visited a Brasilian Churrascaria. It's a restaurant where they prepare dozens of skewers, each one with a different type of meat, and put them on a charcoal grill (not in an electric oven). You sit at your table, and every few minutes a waiter walks by with whatever skewer is ready to be served. If you ask, he will cut a few strips of meat for you, and then walk to another table. The price you pay is fixed, and as long as there are skewers being grilled, the waiters will always stop at your table and ask if you want some. Among the cuts I had, I particularly enjoyed the sausages, the lamb roast and some really fine Brasilian beef, all sizzling and dripping lovely juices. I suspect Rip would be disappointed I could not close the place down, but I can assure you I tried my hardest.

(Weight x reps x sets)
    (volume day)

Squat

60 x5
    110 x5
    160 x3
    180 x1
    190 x5 x5

Demanding, but I'm pleased with all the sets, and with the fact I managed to keep a nice rythm: one set, two minutes and a half rest, another set, and so on. Each rest was long enough to allow me to sneak to the cardio stations and watch a couple of points from the Australian Open final.

Press

40 x5
    60 x5
    80 x5
    90 x1
    93.5 x5 x5

I got a little tweak in the back of the neck from the last set, but nothing too painful. Apart from this, nothing else to report

Hang Power Snatch

Burgener warm-up (empty bar)
    50 x3
    70 x3
    83.5 x1
    88.5 x3 x7

The little niggle carried over from the Press was not a problem. In a few cases I had to jump a little forward, or chase the bar in front of me for the lock-out. This is a sure sign I am starting the second pull too early.
    I also noticed that I tended to finish the sets with my feet much wider than at the start, which meant a weaker jump upwards. Once I corrected this, resetting the feet at the correct distance every time, the situation improved.

IPB

Tuesday February 2nd, 2010

I always look forward to the Recovery session. It's quick, fairly easy, a truly cheap dose of endorphines.

(Weight x reps x sets)
    (Recovery day)

Power Clean

85 x5 deadlift
    85 x3 hang clean
    105 x3 hang clean
    125 x3 x3

Bench

50 x5
    90 x5
    110 x5
    130 x5 x3

Front Squat

40 x5
    90 x5
    120 x4
    135 x5 x2

Pull-ups

2 x 7 seven doubles
    1 x3 three singles.

I've got a problem with doing pull-ups on the Gravitron. For a start, my knees are almost on the floor, and I have to start with my legs bent 90 degrees, not good for the start position.
    Then there are the handles. I have yet to find a confortable and effective position on them. Not having a bar to aim to seems to make it more difficult to execute the pull. I've also noticed that if I keep a closed grip (opposed thumb), my left elbow suffers and starts hurting. Today it got to the point that I decided to switch to an open grip (thumb along the fingers); better for my elbow, but still not a great execution.

On the other hand, chin-ups are fine. I am thinking about doing just chin-ps from now on. Anyone having similar experiences ?

IPB

Friday, February 5th, 2010

There was something wrong this morning. Maybe I was too quick with my breakfast; or maybe it was the unconfortable trip on the Tube, in a carriage so hot and humid the windows where glazed with steam. Either way, I felt sluggish in the gym. Even once I got to work, instead of being pumped up by the shot of endorphines, I really felt like having a quick nap.

(Weight x reps x sets)
    (Intensity day)

Squat

60 x5 x2
    110 x5
    160 x4
    190 x2
    210 x5

Despite feeling in less than ideal conditions, this went well. No pauses or stops during the lifts, as it had happened last week with 208.5 Lb.

Press (military)

40 x5
    60 x5
    80 x4
    93.5 x2
    103.5 x5

After the good squat, the bad Press. The weight went up as required, but too slow. This really is the most problematic lift for me.

Deadlift

100 x5
    140 x5
    190 x5
    240 x2
    262.5 x 5
    240 x5

By now I was feeling vaguely dozy, so I had no great expectations for the deadlift. Despite this, I realised during the warm-up sets that my back seemed to be quite present and reasonably solid. I started the work set with a minimum target of doing two reps; anything more, given the circumstances, I would consider a bonus.
    In the end I managed the required five reps, with a controlled execution. I was quite happy about this. But I need to find out what made me feel so poor this morning.

On the way to the cardio stations for my warm-down, I saw a novel use of the squat rack. A guy had laid a mat between the uprights and wedged his feet under one of the bars that forms the structure of the rack. Thus sorted, he proceeded to several sets of ab crunches (actually, leg flexors, from the way he was set-up).

IPB

Sunday February 7th, 2010

(Key: weight x reps x sets)
    (Volume day)

Squat

60 x5 x2
    110 x5
    160 x4
    180 x1
    192.5 x5 x5

I got again some light pain in the left elbow. This is a little step back, because on Thursday, with a higher weight, the grip was solid and pain-free.
    The first set was harder than expected, the others went better.

Bench

50 x5
    90 x5
    120 x4
    140 x1
    145 x5 x5

I have the impression that I am now capable of moving the bar along the same path within a set, and that's a progress; but the path see, to change from one set to the other. I need to be more consistent.

Power Clean

85 x5 deadlift
    85 x3 hang power clean
    105 x3 hang power clean
    125 x1 x2
    132.5 x3 x7

My back and lats were still sore from the deadlift sets done on Thursday, and I felt it all when setting up for the pulls. Still, it's the sort of mild pain that makes me fell like I'm actually doing something, so in a sense it's welcome.

It's customer survey time at my gym, there's a pile of questionnaires and a little cardboard box on the (mostly unattended) reception desk. I've put down two suggestions for improvement: stick a proper bar for pull-ups somewhere (getting rid of the Gravitron would be my choice), and replace the bent barbell in the weightroom. Worth a try, although I'm not holding my breath.

IPB

Monday February 8th, 2010

How difficult can it be to use a spring collar ? Well, simple as it might appear, it's still not simple enough for some. This morning I found two bent collars on the rack. The Nobel prize winner who last used them, decided that the best way to get them off the bar was by pulling the handles apart. The result was predictable: one of the spires has been straightened, and the collars are now far weaker, bordeing on useless. Ignorance is a really nasty disease, as they say round my place.

(Weight x reps x sets)
    (Recovery day)

Hang Power Snatch

Burgener warm-up
    50 x3
    60 x3
    70 x3
    75 x3 x3

Front squat

40 x5
    90 x5
    120 x3
    140 x5 x2

Press

40 x5
    60 x5
    80 x4
    85 x5 x3

Chin-ups

3 x3 three triples
    2 x7 seven doubles

I think the pain in my left elbow it's on the way to become cronic. Just what I didn't need.

IPB
    Last edited by IlPrincipeBrutto; 02-11-2010 at 04:32 AM.

Thursday February 10th, 2010

I've started a little experiment this morning: I've changed my breakfast. Until now, I had a cup of milk with some wholewheat biscuits (and three raw eggs), but this left me feeling slightly bloated. So this morning I switched to black tea with toasted bread* and honey (and the eggs). I'm going to keep this breakfast for a few weeks, just on gym days, and see how it goes.

*it's actually French toasted slices, something quite popular on the Continent, but not over here in the UK. In Italy they are called "fette biscottate", which translates as "biscuited slices", although there's no sugar in them.

(Key: weight x reps x sets)
    (Intensity day)

Squat

60 x5 x2
    110 x5
    160 x4
    195 x1
    212.5 x5

after reading Sami's thread about his battered left elbow (http://www.startingstrength.com/reso...ad.php?t=14589), I've focused on keeping the bar firm on my back, and my elbows raised when I come out of the hole. I hope this will help my left elbow too.

Bench press

50 x5
    90 x5
    130 x4
    150 x1
    160 x5 (70 Kg)

Power Clean

85 x5 deadlift
    85 x3 hang power clean
    105 x3 hang power clean
    125 x2
    135 x1
    145 x2 x5

After the first clean, I drafted an urgent memo to self: "let go of the bloody bar when you rack it, you fool ! your left elbow will thank you". Once this detail was sorted, the other cleans were good enough, and almost pain-free.

Overall, a good session, and I'm happy about it.

IPB

Saturday February 13th, 2010

I had the week-end nicely planned: today a session with the physio, for a deep release massage, and tomorrow volume training in the gym. Unfortunately life intruded, in the shape of an unavoidable last-minute commitment for tomorrow morning, so I had to anticipate the weights session to today, straight after the physio.
    I thought this would not be ideal, as I usually emerge from a massage feeling as solid as warm custard; but there was no other choice, so I had to make it work.

(Weight x reps x sets)
    (Volume day)

Squat

40 x5
    90 x5
    130 x5
    160 x3
    180 x1
    195 x5 x5

Press

40 x5
    60 x5
    80 x4
    90 x1
    95 x5 x6

The last time I did intensity work on the Press I struggled a bit more than expected. It doesn't mean I will stall next time, but just in case I thought I would add a set, as someone as suggested to me that this lift responds well to volume.

Power Clean

85 x5 deadlift
    85 x3 hang power clean
    105 x3 hang power clean
    125 x1 x2
    135 x3 x8

Fleeting moments. The shiver of surprise as one catches the glimpse of a shooting star. Or the frisson of excitement as the eyes meet those of a handsome stranger, looking at you. As the briefest of encounters fastly recedes into the past, questions emerge in its wake: was it for real ? or did I just imagine it ?
    Did I really felt the iron brushing my shirt, as the bar rushed to meet the mighty deltoids ? or was it just the flutter of the fabric, scattered by an unsightly heave ?
    Nobody really knows. But for an instant, I thought I had finally found the perfect second pull.

IPB

Monday February 15th, 2010

(Weight x reps x sets)
    (Recovery day)

Hang Power Snatch

Burgener warm-up
    50 x3
    60 x3
    70 x2
    75 x3 x3

Even at this very low weight, this lift works the hands very hard. I use the hook grip, but I wonder if a normal grip would be better, as it would allow the wrist to rotate more in line with the arm. Any suggestions ?

Bench

50 x5
    90 x5
    120 x 5
    135 x5 x3

Front squat

40 x5
    60 x5
    100 x5
    130 x3
    140 x5 x2

Chin-ups

3 x5 five triples
    2 x5 five doubles

Not much pain from the left elbow, and this is encouraging. Other than that, nothing to report.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    Wednesday February 17th, 2010

The new tea and toasted bread breakfast is indeed easier to digest than milk and Weetabix, but I still have to find the right doses. I think this morning I went too light, I could have done with more energy in the gym.

(weight x reps x sets)
    (Intensity day)

Squat

40 x5 x2 (to warm the shoulders and get them to hold the right grip)
    80 x5
    130 x5
    180 x3
    200 x1
    215 x5

This is why I think the breakfast should have been bigger. I felt a little too tired after this, more than I expected.

Press

40 x5
    60 x5
    85 x3
    100 x1
    105 x5 (46 Kg)

A couple of regulars asked me if they could use the rack for squats. I offered them to share it with my presses, but despite my insistence they politely declined and started using the Multipower. I felt a bit guilty about this, especially because with this lift I take long rests between sets. I know, I offered, they refused. But squats on that machine really look bad. Next time I'll insist more.

Deadlift

100 x5
    150 x5
    200 x3
    250 x1
    270 x5 (118.5 Kg)
    250 x3 x2 back-off sets

Hold your back, hold it hold it..one
    Gasp, gasp
    Hold you back, hold your back, hold it hold it...two
    Gasp...gasp
    Hold you back, hold you back, hold your back hold it...three
    Gasp, gasp, gasp
    Hold you back, hold it, hold it, hold it...just one more !
    Gasp, gasp, gasp...gasp, gasp
    Hold it, hold it, hold it, hold it, hold it, ...five. Yes, yes !!

In two weeks time I've got an appointment with my inner fears; that's the 275pounds that hurt my back back in November. Two weeks to convince myself it's all in the head.

IPB

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast