starting strength gym
Page 4 of 338 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: ColoWayno's log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Got in late where I am supposed to be finally... hadn't eaten or slept properly... witnessed an "incident" (but didn't even know it). Anyway, the gym was just steps from my room so I had to go...

This is my restart of linear progression:
    Sets x Reps x Lbs
    Squats: 3x5x240 *
    Bench: 3x5x175
    PCleans: 3x3x115

Was too tired to do anymore

*It's a good gym but they have too many kinds of weights, lbs mixed in with kgs, etc. My tired mind was having trouble figuring out how to load the bar properly. When I unloaded my squat bar one of the weights was Kg instead of LBS... so what the heck. I'll have to be more careful next time.

Sunday
    Linear Progression restart 2nd session.
    Weighed in at 195 (this was with shoes + gym clothes)

Sets x Reps x Lbs
    Squats: 3x5x250 (PR)
    Press: 3x5x112.5
    Deads: 1x5x275

Worked on keeping my knees from floating forward on the squats. Worked on starting position (especially hip placement) on the dead lifts.
    They've got some 100lb York plates here. I didn't try to lug them over to use this time but I will. I've never seen those in a gym before.
    I haven't been doing a lot of accessory exercises yet. I'm going to add in Weighted situps, chins and pullups soon.
    So far things are feeling pretty good. I'm still adjusting to the new timezone but my appetite is improving. Couldn't eat properly for a few days there.
    I'm going to start trying for 9 hours of sleep so there won't be a lot of time for much else.

12 hours work
    9 hours sleep
    1 hour shower+eating+getting places+?
    2 hours free
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 03-29-2010 at 02:31 AM.

Wednesday, March 31 (Linear Progression Restart session #3)
    Weighed in at 196lbs (dressed at gym)
    (Sets x Reps x Lbs)
    Squats 1x5x285 PR*, 2x5x260 PR
    Bench 3x5x185
    PClean 3x3x125

* Screwed up and loaded the bar wrong. I got my five reps (not sure the depth was great) but I was thinking wth? Was relieved (and felt stupid at the same time) when I figured out what I had done. Thought about just letting it be a single intensity set but I wanted to squat so I finished out my last two sets at the correct weight. I'm glad as hell I remembered to put on my belt. I blame this all on being so many time zones away from home and working 12 hrs a day by 7 days per week... and being a little stupid.
    I think I'm going to look for a "Stupid things I've done" thread or start one.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 04-01-2010 at 02:30 AM.

Friday (#4 in linear progression restart)
    Weighed in at 197lbs (dressed)

(Sets x Reps x Lbs)
    Squats 3x5x265 (PR)
    Press 3x5x117.5 (PR)

Got back to my room in time for 8.5 hours of sleep.

Sunday (Linear Progression restart #5)
    Weighed in at 195lbs

(Sets x Reps x Lbs)
    Squats 3x5x270 (pr)
    Bench 3x5x190 (pr)
    Power Cleans 5x3x130

I'm working out in the evening but I'm having to drink less liquid close to bed time since I have to get dressed and walk outside to the latrine. I'd prefer to do that only once a night if possible. I drink plenty during the day and only need to sip some while I'm working out. Still slamming a protein shake after the workout but I'm chewing dried fruit and a cliff bar instead of drinking my carbs at night.
    I've had PR's in Squats/Bench and Press since I've been here. Hopefully the other two PR's will come soon.

[EDIT] Wish I could drink some 90 Schilling or 1554 or 2 Below or Guinness once in a while [/EDIT]
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 04-05-2010 at 05:20 AM.

Tuesday
    Weighed in at 196lbs
    Linear progression restart #6
    (Sets x Reps x Lbs)
    Squat: 3x5x275 (pr)
    Press: 3x5x120 (pr)
    Deads: 1x5x285 (pr is 287)

This is all getting hard. I still felt like I had a little in the tank with the overhead presses. My neck is sore today (Heavy pressing seems to do that).
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 04-08-2010 at 07:34 AM.

Friday (linear restart #7)
    Weighed in at 197lbs
    (Sets x Reps x Lbs)
    Squats: 3x5x277.5 (PR)
    Bench: 3x5x195 (PR)
    PClean: 3x3x135

Squats are really starting to feel heavy. I think the guys working out in the rack next to me thought I was going to have a heart attack. Of course if they would have gone any where near parallel with the 405 they had on the bar it would have broken them into pieces.
    I had plans to add in assistance exercises but this is kicking my butt. I had a little left on the bench so I'm hoping to get one more 5lb jump.

Usually I'm dying to get under the bar for squats but today I had a little apprehension. I thought about repeating a weight or even dropping back five pounds. I didn't want to take a five pound jump, so I settled for 2.5. Does this happen to you after two days off? I'm hoping that I feel like starting the 5 lb jumps again for at least a couple more workouts.
    Last edited by ColoWayno; 04-10-2010 at 12:43 AM.

Sunday (Linear Progression reset #8)
    Weighed in at 197lbs
    (Sets x Reps x Lbs)
    Squats: No work sets, just warmed up to a single at 255
    Press: 3x5x122.5 (pr)
    PCleans: 3x3x115

I was fighting stomach problems prior to this workout.... I think it's the DEFAC food getting to me. Managed a pr on Press. I'm pretty sure I'm going to do a minor reset on squats starting with the next workout.

Tuesday (Linear reset #9)
    Weighed in at 197
    (sets x reps x lbs)
    Squats: 3x5x260
    Bench: 3x5x200 (PR)
    PClean:

On power cleans I warmed up to 125 then failed a couple of attempts at 140. I decided to try something different. I did 2 reps at 130, 2 reps at 135, then started microloading up to 140. I did two reps each at 136.25, 137.5, and 138.75. Then I did two reps at 140 and called it a day. There were several failures in there but I managed to get two reps before moving up. This is obviously a mental game at this point. Sunday I'm going to try to get a video camera in to where I work out. I think it will be ok, but things are more sensitive here. I think I'm fixing some of the form problems based on watching other videos and reading the critiques, but I've got a way to go.

starting strength coach development program
    I still don't have anyone to work out with here. There's a guy I work with that's pretty big and strong but he's got some reasons why he won't lift now. At least we encourage each other at the DEFAC. When one of us slows down eating the other will say, "are you going to let the food win?" The answer is "No, I will not!".

Page 4 of 338 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast